Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: How to install a new rear shock?  (Read 919 times)

Offline bbuettner

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Grand Rapids, MI
Re: How to install a new rear shock?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 09:16:07 PM »
Well I put a couple hundred miles on the new Ohlins rear shock over the 4th of July weekend and thought I would post my thoughts.

1. Installation - mostly an exersize in getting the bike jacked up and weight off the rear wheel.  I put the bike on my front wheel chock (as seen in the picture above) and them lifted the rear wheel with a swingarm stand.  Then positioned a set of footpeg stands under the passenger pegs and pulled the swingarm stand out.  Then pushed a block of wood under the rear wheel until the pressure was off the bolts. Then lift/chock up the back of the tank, so you can hold the nut on the back of the top bolt while you loosen it.  Bottom bolt is easy to get to.  Put new shock in, tighten bolts.  As stated above you need to take seat off, side covers off, unbolt back of gas tank to get started.

2. Riding - new shock is smoother and less harsh over bumps.  Back end feels very planted to the road.  Just what I was hoping for!  For some reason the front (unaltered) now seems harsher?

3.  Looks very cool!  Always a good side benefit.

4. It was pricey ($900 form Revzilla) but overall I am happy with it!

Online halbie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Portland
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 07:05:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by bbuettner [+]
As stated above you need to take seat off, side covers off, unbolt back of gas tank to get started.

2. Riding - new shock is smoother and less harsh over bumps.  Back end feels very planted to the road.  Just what I was hoping for!  For some reason the front (unaltered) now seems harsher?

I managed to remove/replace the top bolt from the side, without lifting gas tank. But it certainly would be much easier from above after lifting the tank.

I too noticed that the front now seems harsher. Not surprising given the improvement of one and not the other, but I'd never really focused on the front before.

Online exhdrdr

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z900RS
  • Town / City: Silver City, N.M.
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 08:21:11 PM »
Be glad you don't have a sidecar, you'd have to upgrade that suspension too after doing the front.

Offline Ove

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: East of England
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 10:35:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by halbie [+]

I too noticed that the front now seems harsher. Not surprising given the improvement of one and not the other, but I'd never really focused on the front before.

Try anti clockwise to full out on the front compression damping. Made me much happier with the front end.