Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Am I imagining thing  (Read 1670 times)

Offline hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Oudenaarde
Am I imagining thing
« on: June 14, 2019, 06:01:29 PM »
So my z900rs went in for first service today and all was well according to dealer. So I can now rev the engine making the enjoyment complete. Switching gear still feels clunky esp from 1 to 2 but now I notice kind of a rattle in the engine. Checked for loose things, nothing to be found. Rpm in neutral is very smooth and bike performs amazing.

But I cannot get around the rattle I hear. It seems move obvious when I losen the throttle and the  start driving relaxed at lowish rpm. Sounds like a faint rattling over the normal engine sound and noise. When I engage the clutch this goes away until I switch into gear again. Of course at higher revs it is less or not audible. Maybe this is a normal engine noise, when idling in neutral I also hear a kind of rattle. but now since going higher in the rev range it seems to have worsebed a bit.

Mind, engine and bike feel very smooth. Accelerates like hell, pops and crackles when it should and revs very nicely into high rpm, it just annoys me that I keep focussing in the rattle-ish noise. At just over 1000km and nust having a maintenance, I suppose wear and tear is hardly a problem.

So is it normal for the bike to have some other noises than the pure idle/rpm and am I imagining things or worrying too much? It is my first bike ever so cannot compare.

Offline JasonKing

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900rs Cafe
  • Town / City: Marineville
Re: Am I imagining thing
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 07:05:28 PM »
Er, take it straight back to the supplying dealer and get them to listen/sort it!  :002:

Online NKOTB 900RS

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 07:29:10 PM »
What JasonKing says :084:

I was told I was hearing things when a recently serviced Honda VT250 started rattling and performance was dropping, it was all in my imagination they said. Three days later the front cylinder went bang, the engine had seized as the oilways were clogged with swarf!!  :182: :232:

I'm not saying for a minute that will happen, but, a rattle is a rattle, and it shouldn't be there, end of!
Kawasaki H1E; Triumph Bonneville Newchurch; Suzuki GSX1400
Triumph Thunderbird; Suzuki Bandit 600; Kawasaki GPZ500
Honda CB750W; Honda VTR500; Honda VTR250 (work hack)
Suzuki T250 (work hack); Kawasaki KH500; Laverda 750SF2
Yamaha RD200

Offline hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 07:47:21 PM »
Yeah I know, problem is the dealer is over 1hr away from where I live and it just got serviced so I'm pretty sure if I call them, they'll say it's normal and they just checked the bike for 1st maintenance. My best friend has the same Z900RS, I'll see if I can ask him to come over in the next few days and let me drive his so I can compare them. Not overly happy with the dealer service tbh, they always make me feel like I'm a troublesome client. Even when it's normal, I'm new to all this so I imagine it's not overly abnormal for me to have questions about the bike. Same for the clunky gears, they serviced it, I asked if the clunky (esp 1>2) change is normal, they took it for a small spin and said it's ok. So when they say that, I suppose it'll be this way. But I forgot to ask about the rattling noise.

Here's a video I took after a short trip : Not sure if this will be clear enough, but when driving and revving back from higher gears or staying static at around 3500-4000rpm going slow in 2nd or 3rd, this noise is even more pronounced.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:59:12 PM by hansvdc »

Offline CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 11:58:17 PM »
Iíve never held a mic so close to my motor and you didnít rev it at all but from what I could hear it sounds fine.  Try another video maybe with a few revs.  Rattling is most commonly a loose cam chain IME. 

Offline Bourbon

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: PA
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 02:16:53 AM »
I don't hear anything odd in that video.  But you will hear normal cam chain noise, especially if you dip your head down and to the side when riding

Offline ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Oshawa
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 03:24:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bourbon [+]
I don't hear anything odd in that video.  But you will hear normal cam chain noise, especially if you dip your head down and to the side when riding

:0461:

Didn't hear anything out of the ordinary either  :435:

But as been stated try another sound bite with some revs in the mix....my guess is however it's a non issue..but if it concerns you have it checked out by other local riders who also wrench on there own machines!

Keep us posted

:305: :821:
81 Kawasaki KZ 750E2
84 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk S (Canadian Model)
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
18 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

Online Toro

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Yamaha MT-01/Z900RS
  • Town / City: Stuttgart
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 10:19:09 AM »
Sounds pretty normal to me as well :002:
best regards

Offline peter88

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2019 JAFFA
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 07:23:21 AM »
I think i may be hearing what you are talking about, but hard to tell in that video. Can you recognise what area of the motor the rattle is coming from, clutch, top end etc ?  What oil did the dealer use at the service, if it is cheap mineral oil maybe you are hearing valve noise, was the rattle there before the service ?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 07:35:18 AM by peter88 »

Offline hansvdc

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 09:09:27 AM »
No it is not clear, I do hear it when driving too especially when letting go off the throttle, or when driving at lowish rpm with a steady rpm. But that might be the chain because it goes away when I engage the throttle. The rattle in the video is obviously at idle. Hard to capture and might be me... I only hear at the left which often makes me experience noise differently than other ppp.