Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Engine Heat  (Read 737 times)

Offline attila

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: FREMONT
Engine Heat
« on: June 10, 2019, 10:14:09 PM »
In case anyone is curious, there is a limit to the hot weather tolerance of the Z900RS. We had the first truly hot day in Northern California this season today with about 108 degrees Fahrenheit. Overall I have been pretty happy with the engine heat that the Z produces but at those temp levels turning off the engine at stops is pretty much mandatory to avoid overheating. It still is fine on the freeway as long as one keeps going (4 bars). Generally up to the mid to high nineties it seems to do fine.

Offline RetroZ

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900rs
  • Town / City: Glasgow
Re: Engine Heat
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 10:18:52 PM »
Have you checked the fan is still working?

Offline attila

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: FREMONT
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 10:31:02 PM »
Fan seems to be fine. Is it normally supposed to be running cooler in these kind of temperatures?

Offline htown

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Houston
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 10:57:39 PM »
If you have the ecu reflashed by 2wheel Dynoworks they also lower the threshold for the fan to come on and the bike will run cooler.  Don't know why Kaw set it so high but my guess is it has to do something with controlling emissions.

Offline Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 10:58:33 PM »
Another good reason to have a 2 Wheel Dynoworks flash in your bike. The fan kicks on roughly 20 degrees or one bar earlier, usually netting your gauges showing you bike is running one bar cooler. You do hear the fan come on sooner.

Call 'em and ask about it.  https://2wheeldynoworks.com  425-269-5332
Old is new again

Online halbie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Portland
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 02:52:49 AM »
After 2WDW, the only times I have 4 bars are when running high RPMs consistently on curvy roads or when I'm in stop/go/idle traffic. Never get to a 5th bar anymore, although that'll be tested this summer when our now-annual, smoke-filled outdoor kiln gets going thanks to climate change.

Offline TallyRex

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 11:27:02 AM »
Atilla,

What happens if you don't turn the bike off when you stop at lights?  Does a red light turn on?

Online oRGie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: ipswich
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 06:29:16 PM »
when you turn the bike off the fan stops too, so the heat will probably increase for a short period as there will no air circulation, you may be causing more problems than your solving. I rode mine in high 20's c heat all last summer and yeah in traffic the fan comes on, but just because the guage shows 4 or 5 bars it doesnt mean the bike is overheating, its just the way kwak techs decided to calibrate the bars vs actual temp :)  :305:

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 11:17:28 PM »
WOW, I didn't think Northern California gets that HOT but these days anything is possible.   We here in Indiana had more rain than anyone could use in a lifetime and the farmers are having a hard time getting their crops planted in the flooded fields.   Today was the first full day where it didn't rain at all.  It was more of an late April day rather than a Mid June day where the temps should be near 90 and not 47 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning.  It did however warm up to 78 degrees and all day sunshine which if it stayed this way all year I would be a very happy camper but no such luck.  Starting tomorrow afternoon the rains are back and storms on Thursday.  It's been kinda like a broken record Tornadoes, Flash Flood Warnings, Hail..    According to the weather service we only had 28% of the usual sunshine for the year and Indiana doesn't get that much to start with.   Climate change is real.  I grew up in Germany and they never got Tornadoes, now they do.   And it never got higher than 80 to 85 degrees in the summer with very little humidity.  My uncle wrote me and they had 98 and 99 degree temperatures.  That is unheard of.  And here we got 7 month winters and so far way more rain than ever before and below normal temperatures.   I can deal with the low temps just make the rains stop for more than one day please. 

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 11:19:46 PM by IndyTom »
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Offline Ric

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: '18 z900rs
  • Town / City: SE Arizona
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 04:54:17 AM »
In AZ, I'm 4/5 bars in town.  I've looked for bigger radiators - but nothing was found.  I'm not interested in a reflash as I want to keep my warranty for now.
-'18 z900rs Black
-a couple of fast cars