Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Throttle tamer sensor position? Pictures please  (Read 498 times)

Offline luishcorreia

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: z900rs
  • Town / City: Lisbon
Throttle tamer sensor position? Pictures please
« on: June 10, 2019, 09:12:46 PM »
Hi people. For those who have the throttle tamer, were did you put the sensor?

The manual for the tamer says that under the headlight is a good place. I looked at mine again today, and the cable is rather short, not leaving too many options. To the side bellow the tank I think it will get hot from the engine just below. Up front I see two options. Below the headlight like I have or attached to the cables of the steering column, more inward.

I ended up reataching it under the headlight in a different position. Went for short 15 minute ride to heat the bike up. I have to say I would be surprised if the radiator heat would affect the sensor. When the bike is running thatís position will get so much clean air...

Well, your thoughts? Weíre do you placed your sensor? I am thinking that maybe this difference people notice has to do with the sensor being placed in a less than ideal place. Guys that say you found a lot of improvement with the tamer, were is your sensor?

Offline luishcorreia

• Z900RS Pro
Re: Throttle tamer sensor position? Pictures please
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 02:56:28 PM »
Hi.

I contacted Jens from Booster Plug. He took 5 minutes to repply. Here is his responder. It may also help others:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Luis,

The sensor position on your bike is excellent! You are right that heat from the radiator will rise and heat the sensor tip slightly when the bike is standing, but as soon as the bike is moving, the air (and the heat) will be blown backwards and the sensor will be reading cool air within a few seconds.

So I would recommend that you leave the sensor where it is placed now.

Only thing to mention is that you should make sure not to fasten the sensor directly to frame metal parts (you want it to read air temperature, not the temperature of hot frame parts)

All units are tested twice (once during production, and one more time before shipping) so it's very unlikely that the module is faulty. In fact, we haven't had a single non working unit in the +35.000 BoosterPlug's we have in the market.

Also, you would see a warning in the dashboard if the BoosterPlug (Or the AIT sensor was faulty)

So if you installed the BoosterPlug correctly and there is no warnings in the dashboard, the BoosterPlug is in working order and is making the air/fuel ratio 6% richer as designed.

But we know from experience that some people are just very good at adapting to the bike, so if you feel that there's little or no difference with the BoosterPlug, I recommend trying these two exercises:

- Put the bike in first gear, and release the clutch slowly without touching the throttle. With the BoosterPlug the idle will be much stronger, and you should be able to run the bike without applying throttle.
- Find a very tight corner and take the bike around it in first or second gear. You should be able to feel the much softer throttle response that is nowhere as "digital" on/off as before you installed the BoosterPlug.

These are the situations where it should be very easy to feel the BoosterPlug difference.

Best Regards

Jens Lyck

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 11:44:17 PM »
I don't think you mean Throttle Tamer Sensor since the Throttle Tamer doesn't have a sensor.  I am sure you meant the metal sensor rod that came with the Booster Plug.  When I had it on my Vulcan S I zip tied it to the Frame away from any heat source like the engine or the radiator.   I think anywhere where there is sufficient ventilation and not close to any heat would be preferred.    Make sure it's secure and not dangling in the wind.  And don't worry about it getting wet.  It is waterproof and rain and the elements won't effect it.    Too be honest I don't think you will get much improvement with the Booster Plug on the Z900RS.   The Vulcan S was a different story.  Much smaller displacement and pretty low Horsepower and it was tuned way too lean so yes, there was some improvement with the added fuel the Booster Plug added at Low RPM and at WOT.   But the Z900RS is a totally different animal.  Much more power and higher revving to start with.  To expect the Booster Plug to account for all the variables would be optimistic at best.   That's why for this bike I chose to go with an ECU Flash which can account for those variables and adjust the
fueling a lot more accurately along with many more adjustments like turning on the Fan sooner so the engine runs cooler, Raising the Rev Limiter and letting you adjust the Traction control on the fly while the bike is moving.  It also got rid of the throttle shut off and noticeably smoothed out the throttle.   I don't think the Booster Plug can do any of that.  All it does is add more fuel by tricking the ECU that the temperature is 20 degrees Fahrenheit cooler than it actually is.     
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 11:54:28 PM by IndyTom »
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Offline luishcorreia

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
Thanks. Itís booster plug of course

Offline Andyb1962

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Jaffa
  • Town / City: Rotherham
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 10:09:18 AM »
I for one noticed a difference when fitting a booster plug .
The excessive engine braking from mid to high revs on closed throttle was reduced (my main complaint )
The throttle is now noticeably smoother and idles better .

Having said that .
I did set hot idle to 1150 rpm
I do keep my free play on clutch and throttle at 2-3 mm. I keep everything well Iubed , clutch cable , chain etc,
All this helps for a smoother ride .