Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: synthetic oil  (Read 3449 times)

Offline CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
Re: synthetic oil
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 09:55:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by MexicoMike [+]
FWIW, the dealer in Bristol (UK), where I bought my Cafe made a big point that if I was going to change oil/add oil at any time to use "semi-synthetic," but never full synthetic.  He did not recommend a brand so I didn't get the impression he was pushing Kawasaki-branded oil.

As I said...FWIW! 

Since I don't have a garage/works space here to do any work myself, for the first time a bike of mine will end up at the dealer for all service so the bike will get whatever oil they put in it.  :027:

Then he’s an idiot.  And if I were paying someone to change my oil they’d damn well put in whatever oil I’m paying for.

Offline halbie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Portland
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2019, 06:13:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
Kawasaki doesn’t recommend semi synth and frankly, semi synth is half as good as it could be (full synthetic).

Don’t be so sure. I’ve read this elsewhere, but the article linked below is a good source. “Semi” doesn’t necessarily mean “half” when it comes to oil. I think that’s why some are just called “blend,” to avoid misleading advertising.

“Lastly, there are no industry specifications or regulations that define a minimum amount of synthetic base oil that must be present for an oil to be classified as a synthetic blend or semi-synthetic.”  https://blog.amsoil.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-semi-synthetic-oils-and-synthetic-blends/

Offline peter88

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2019 JAFFA
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2019, 02:05:38 PM »
I have a simplistic way of looking at it -- if I buy Motul full synthetic oil I will assume it is more synthetic than Motul semi synthetic.

Online Evangelos K

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2019, 07:18:53 PM »
After trying Motul 7100 on one bike, and then putting it on the other 2, I’m a believer. Never did I think I would say this... I Always used good brand name synthetics, but they are pretty much the same, and had not found a difference in all my vehicles between them; thus, alternating between brand name synthetics depending which one was on sale. But on all 3 of my bikes, I’m sure it is not a coincidence the temp gauge dropped at least 1 bar, and more, and shifting is even better. Especially on the Z, that 1st oil change transformed the bike, and the shifting.  Motul has me now. To the point I will be trying it soon for the 1st time on a car, on my new Ridgeline.
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline Notsoaverageguy

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Cafe 900
  • Town / City: Sandiego
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 06:34:02 AM »
Been using Mobile 1 full synthetic for 45 years in everything I own.  Including my Cafe. Never once let me down. Get it on sale at Walmart for 25$ for 5 quartz.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler!
(Albert Einstein)

Offline CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2019, 07:47:52 AM »
My last two cars had Mobil 1 from the factory and I’m quite satisfied.  I’ve used Amsoil on my bikes for years and I’m also quite satisfied,  extended change intervals, cooler running and smoother shifting. 

Online Hillie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2019, 01:07:26 AM »
Just changed from Motul 5100 (synth blend) to 7100 (full synth), I hope the improvement in shifting comes early. Probably take it out tomorrow morning for a little ride.

Online rickyb

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Candy z900rs
  • Town / City: Lincoln
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2019, 11:22:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Evangelos K [+]
After trying Motul 7100 on one bike, and then putting it on the other 2, I’m a believer. Never did I think I would say this... I Always used good brand name synthetics, but they are pretty much the same, and had not found a difference in all my vehicles between them; thus, alternating between brand name synthetics depending which one was on sale. But on all 3 of my bikes, I’m sure it is not a coincidence the temp gauge dropped at least 1 bar, and more, and shifting is even better. Especially on the Z, that 1st oil change transformed the bike, and the shifting.  Motul has me now. To the point I will be trying it soon for the 1st time on a car, on my new Ridgeline.

I found exactly the same on my ktm.transformation of gear change from notchy to silk! Keep thinking car too! And it'll always be in all my bikes!
Suzuki uf50, HondaCG125 ,Triumph Daytona955i, KTM990smt.

Offline Dirty Dave

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Montreal
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2019, 12:04:30 PM »
I'm using Motul 7100 full synthetic.

Cruising down the highway at 60 to 70 mph in 23 C (73 F) weather temp gauge showed only 2 bars.

Other factors I'm sure come into play. Akrapovic header & 16th sprocket I suppose.

Just sayin'
18 Z900RS Jaffa
97 Honda Valkyrie
79 Honda GoldWing

Offline gurninman

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Southampton
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2019, 02:30:44 PM »
If you really want to treat the bike, use Motul 300V.  Comes out looking perfect after 4 laps of the TT, and engine builders love it. Bit salty at £50 for 4L, though.