Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: red warning light on  (Read 2119 times)

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
Re: red warning light on
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 11:54:07 AM »
Third Filter?  Already?   Have you ridden your bike that many miles already?   Unless you have ridden through lakes and used your Z for a submarine I don't see a need for changing filters 3 times on a bike that is little over a year old.   And no of course we don't get free filters.  Must be nice that you guys in the UK get free filters every time it rains  :001:
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Offline oRGie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: ipswich
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 12:08:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by IndyTom [+]
Third Filter?  Already?   Have you ridden your bike that many miles already?   Unless you have ridden through lakes and used your Z for a submarine I don't see a need for changing filters 3 times on a bike that is little over a year old.   And no of course we don't get free filters.  Must be nice that you guys in the UK get free filters every time it rains  :001:

10,000 miles so far, most days, all weathers, good waerproofs  :305:

Online TallyRex

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 900 Root Beer, V1K
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
Never heard of that program

Offline Garth

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Scunthorpe

Online Oop North John

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: NE Scotland
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 12:00:56 PM »

Given the huge difference in purchase price between us and our friends across the Atlantic, it's small compensation.

Offline Phil

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: z900RS / Z125 Pro
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 02:01:20 AM »
I have changed filters 3 times too, first servie at 1000, then 6000 and 12000. I purchased the Scotts stainless reuseable filter, I had one on my ZX-9R for 100K and my Z1000 for 50K, no issues and the light never come on after an oil change.

If you read the specs the Scotts filter will flow more oil and filter to a greater degree than a paper filter. They also look better and are easy to remove and install thanks to the special tool. I think I worked it out that after 8 changes you have recouped the purchase price, for me that will be about 2.5 to 3 years.

Phil
18 Z900RS Jaffa
17 Z125 Pro KRT

ZRXOA 8225 (Once a ZRX owner, always a ZRX owner)

Online Evangelos K

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 12:44:42 PM »
1st oil change for me at 600mi. Prefilled the filter to the point it did not spill oil out when putting back on.
Light stayed on for about 3-4 secs, about 3 seconds more than my other 2 bikes, where the light goes out almost immediately.  :008:
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2017 Honda CBR1000RR ABS
2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline OKZ

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Multiple bikes
  • Town / City: Edmond, OK
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 01:29:23 PM »
Unfortunately I don't get to ride as often as I would like and I have several bikes to spread the love on so I change oil and filters once a year no matter the mileage.  :028:
Technology: Man's ability to make simple things complicated.
2018 Z900RS - Hooligan bike
2019 BMW R1250GS - for travel and exploring

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Lohja
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2019, 07:49:39 AM »
In the non-RS Z there is no red warning light if the key has been in the lock for 24h, just the oil warning symbol in the display. If the filter is prefilled, after start the warning light/symbol goes away in seconds and if not, it can take up to a minute until the oil pressure is ok. Before the oil pressure is what it should be I would not rev the engine since I don't think higher rpm makes the oil pump work any harder or helps filling the filter faster, you'll just cause more load to a non lubricated engine. Prefilling is not needed nor recommended (but yes, I have done it once anyway). I'll stick to the Kawasaki OEM filters only. Everyone makes their own decisions but the OEM filter costs just 13,9 EUR and you could only save a few EURs using some cheapo filter so I don't see the point not using an OEM.

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Lohja
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 07:04:02 PM »
I'll be damned, guess what happened today when I changed the filter and the oil; it took aaaaages to soak the filter and suck the oil to the engine. A couple of minutes in total, I actually stopped the engine to see if there is a major leak somewhere.  :001: When the engine was running I think I saw small bubbles in the oil. The oil (I first poured to the upper level, about 3.8 l), the filter and the position of the bike was exactly the same as last time when I did the oil change. The filter is Kawasaki OEM, the oil is Castrol Power 1 10W-40 and the bike was positioned level, it was on the Abba stand both tires up in the air about the same distance from the ground. I'm not worried the engine is now broken or anything, it's just a machine, money can buy a new one, but why did it happen and why now. Somehow me writing to this topic changed the space time continuum, a butterfly effect or whatnot.  :084: :008: