Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: red warning light on  (Read 2120 times)

Offline joe

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2018 z900 RS
  • Town / City: vancouver island
red warning light on
« on: May 21, 2019, 11:44:32 PM »
hello everyone
i changed my oil and filter.Now the red indicator/immobilizer on the very top of the center dashboard is on all the time.  Has anybody  seen this?
thanks,it's a 2018 root beer and orange

Online exhdrdr

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z900RS
  • Town / City: Silver City, N.M.
Re: red warning light on
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 12:21:41 AM »
Yes that happened to me after my first oil and filter change. Started the bike up and the red light was on, freaked me out but it is normal and it will go out soon as the oil circulates enough to create enough oil pressure and the light will go out and stay out, no worries. I had to ride mine down my driveway and back up before the light went out .  It is supposed to help to put some oil in the new filter helping it circulate faster, I do it but don't believe it is necessary at all.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:23:06 AM by exhdrdr »

Offline CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold CA.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 01:13:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by joe [+]
hello everyone
i changed my oil and filter.Now the red indicator/immobilizer on the very top of the center dashboard is on all the time.  Has anybody  seen this?
thanks,it's a 2018 root beer and orange

No it should not be on all the time, just a few seconds after an oil change.  Although there doesnít seem to be a problem you canít (know) that proper oil pressure is being maintained.  If holding a steady 2,000 rpms for a few seconds doesnít cure it, Iíd turn it off and have a mechanic check it.  Maybe the filter is faulty.

Offline joe

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2018 z900 RS
  • Town / City: vancouver island
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 04:28:55 AM »
   Aha, it was the oil filter or maybe the fact that this time i filled the new one with oil. Fram.It took forever to fill,one air bubble at a time.Hit the button and within 3 or 4 seconds the light went out.Thanks for the help

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 05:44:39 AM »
FRAM?     :005:  you must be brave.   Worst oil filter on the planet.
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Online TallyRex

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 900 Root Beer, V1K
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by IndyTom [+]
FRAM?     :005:  you must be brave.   Worst oil filter on the planet.

Agreed.

I  don't fill the new filter and the light goes off very quickly.

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »
I just did my first oil change and I didn't notice any Red light warning at all.   And no, I didn't put any oil in the new filter since it would be messy.  I did have my bike on the Center Stand when I started the bike.  Not sure if that would make a difference?   
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Online taximan62

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS SE
  • Town / City: Wellandport
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 12:05:07 AM »
Why use a crappy fram filter.  Hiflo Filter or A genuine Kawi filter is all I would use.  Motorcycle specific made filters.  And if it is cost then rethink the fact that to save a few bucks you risk destryong a very expensive engine.

I would have serious doubts that that filter you are using is flowing oil corrctly for the engine hence the warning light staying on for an extended time.  If it were me I would be changing it to a proper filter.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 12:06:53 AM by taximan62 »

Offline ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Oshawa
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 05:20:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by taximan62 [+]
Why use a crappy fram filter.  Hiflo Filter or A genuine Kawi filter is all I would use.  Motorcycle specific made filters.  And if it is cost then rethink the fact that to save a few bucks you risk destryong a very expensive engine.

I would have serious doubts that that filter you are using is flowing oil corrctly for the engine hence the warning light staying on for an extended time.  If it were me I would be changing it to a proper filter.

:0461:

Hiflo actually makes the Kawasaki OEM filters. Infact some OEM filters found in Kawasaki dealerships have the hiflo name on them. My Nomad used a Hiflo filter on it from factory at original purchase. I remember asking the dealership at the time as I thought they had changed it before I purchased the bike BRAND NEW in 2002. Nope it was an OEM filter and was the same black filter I used on it for all it's life I owned it.

Just like Yuasu batteries make the OEM that is fitted in a lot of bikes from factory.

And there not much different in price either.

:305: :821:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:25:08 AM by ve3hzz »
81 Kawasaki KZ 750E2
84 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk S (Canadian Model)
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
18 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

Offline oRGie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: ipswich
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 11:45:22 AM »
I'm on my third filter, all genuine, havent paid for one yet, don't you guys get the free filter offer with the kwak feedback form?