Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 3/4 Helmets  (Read 334 times)

Online exhdrdr

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z900RS
  • Town / City: Silver City, N.M.
3/4 Helmets
« on: May 17, 2019, 02:53:03 PM »
Do any of you use a 3/4 or a 1/2 helmet?   I only have a Schuberth  modular which I find heavy and hot at times now that I have moved to a hot climate. I am considering a bell carbon 500 which weighs about half what my full face helmet does.
                Before buying  a lighter helmet I would like to hear some of your opinions pro and con. I intend to use the smaller helmet for around town and the modular for longer rides.  The only stores with helmets to see are a 3 hour drive from me.       Thanks,  Robert---Silver City, New Mexico.

Online Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
Re: 3/4 Helmets
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »
Open face helmets are great. Cooler in hot weather, and someone can possibly recognize you in it vs a full face. Better to converse with people when you need to converse.

The question you have to ask yourself is, do you plan on crashing and skidding on your face?
Well nobody plans on crashing and skidding on their face obviously. Its the safety issue you have to ask yourself.

I wear an open face on occasion.
Old is new again

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 08:28:25 PM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:29:50 PM by CaliZed9 »

Offline Travelman

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS / FJR1300
  • Town / City: South Shields
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 08:36:18 PM »
I find the Nolan Air series the best and most comfortable helmets Iíve ever owned. Iím on my third variation

https://www.nolan.it/en/helmets-crossover/n40-5-gt

It has the advantage of a very sturdy but detachable chin guard so can be used as an out and out full face, unlike heavier flip helmets. TBH I tend to use the chin guard in winter from the point of view of warmth, and remove it in summer. Nolan helmets also benefit from the fact that you can install their very tidy Bluetooth system.

Offline Evangelos K

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:20:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Maxacceleration [+]
Open face helmets are great. Cooler in hot weather, and someone can possibly recognize you in it vs a full face. Better to converse with people when you need to converse.

The question you have to ask yourself is, do you plan on crashing and skidding on your face?
Well nobody plans on crashing and skidding on their face obviously. Its the safety issue you have to ask yourself.

I wear an open face on occasion.

Exactly. The options are there for lightweight full or modular helmets, and you need to justify if your head is worth it.  I, personally, like to eat, so never an open face for me.  I do have a KLIM modular that weighs 3LBS. Not on the cheap side. And when riding, chin bar is down.
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline Travelman

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS / FJR1300
  • Town / City: South Shields
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 10:05:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Evangelos K [+]
Exactly. The options are there for lightweight full or modular helmets, and you need to justify if your head is worth it.  I, personally, like to eat, so never an open face for me.  I do have a KLIM modular that weighs 3LBS. Not on the cheap side. And when riding, chin bar is down.

I donít disagree, but life is little more than competing desires and risks. There are many who would read these comments and say what are these idiots doing riding bikes in the first place if they are risk averse? We all know that there are US states that donít require the wearing of helmets at all, deplored by most but some ride without. Some insist on ATGATT yet others prefer not to in temperatures of 40deg (centigrade). I wonít ride a bicycle without donning a helmet, yet so many donít share my opinion. I enjoy the sense, relative admittedly, of freedom that open face delivers.

Online Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 11:46:28 PM »
Its freedom fellas, you makes your choices! You can justify from all/any angles.
Now why you riding those darn motorcycles anyway...  :087: Any emergency room will tell you.  :182:

On a side note, a few years ago... I was riding with a friend who was wearing a skid lid. I was full face.
We rode through a thicket of gnats and pulled up to a light lol. My face shield was littered with gnats. My buddy looked over at me and laughed... his face was covered with gnats.
Teeth, cheeks, nose, everything. Except his eyes with his thin 'shades' for eye protection.
Glad I had a full face helmet on at that moment!!!
Old is new again

Offline Evangelos K

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 04:27:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Travelman [+]
I donít disagree, but life is little more than competing desires and risks. There are many who would read these comments and say what are these idiots doing riding bikes in the first place if they are risk averse? We all know that there are US states that donít require the wearing of helmets at all, deplored by most but some ride without. Some insist on ATGATT yet others prefer not to in temperatures of 40deg (centigrade). I wonít ride a bicycle without donning a helmet, yet so many donít share my opinion. I enjoy the sense, relative admittedly, of freedom that open face delivers.

Oh, I agree.  It feels great ridding with no helmet.  The only place I do is on the track grounds, where of course everyone is going slow.

Donít get me wrong, I agree is everyoneís choice, but I do have an opinion for those choosing not to wear a helmet, and it is not kind.  Quite harsh actually.   For whateverís sake, you only have one head, it is absolutely NOT WORTH IT.  And if you die on the spot, it is the better outcome.  I do not wanna be a vegetable, neither put the burden on someone else to take care of me.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 04:29:33 AM by Evangelos K »
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline Larry

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 05:21:22 AM »
Another option is the Bell Bullitt, a very large opening full face. I get claustrophobic with most full-face but this Bell has a large enough opening that you don't see the chin bar unless you consciously look down for it. Really love mine and it has nothing to do with "retro-style" crap. Just like the 3/4 type openness with chin/face protection. Here's a picture from their advertising. Or someplace.

Online ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Oshawa
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 05:52:43 AM »
When I started riding I had a full face. I think a Bell? but don't remember that far back. Soon after I moved to an open helmet..a 3/4 I guess it was..then a half lid when I rode my Yamaha with a windshield and my Nomad that eventually put on a batwing fairing. I was to the mindset of feeling closed in wearing a full face when I tried them on. So I stuck with the open half lid. Then I got the Guzzi which had (basically) no screen nor protection. I purchased a modular as I still couldn't bring myself to having a full face ALL the time on and this modular allowed me to open it up at stop lights or at gas stations and I could alleviate the feeling of being CLOSED IN! I recently bought another full face that is a regular one not modular. I also have a 3/4 helmet (for the retro look mostly) with a pair of googles. It works OK but not great on highway. That might change now that my Z has a new windshield that is higher and lip to move the air farther up...once I try it on the highway will know how well it works and if my 3/4 will suffice in hot weather or if my new full face will have enough airflow to keep me cool.
In all of this I can say I've never thought of what IF as far as going off the bike and skidding my face across the pavement. I do wear a jacket mostly (or use to) and jeans and riding boots..gloves...
But all I can say is do what is comfortable and meets your security needs (both real and imagined) as in reality it is how you feel riding that is important. IF it's too restrictive you won't wear it..if it's to exposing you might not as well. Personal choice I guess...I wouldn't judge someone for riding with an open face or a full face nor even running shoes...I do cringe at flip flops..but hey it's there choice  :027:
But in all of it the best protection is awareness and paying attention to everything...less distractions (headphones etc) the better...Hey if it was SUPER SAVE everyone would skydive too right?
And fyi a helmet at terminal velocity...won't do jack!!!!
Ride Safe
 :305: :821:
81 Kawasaki KZ 750E2
84 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk S (Canadian Model)
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
18 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe