Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: No whining  (Read 1699 times)

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold
Re: No whining
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 04:06:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by halbie [+]
Noob question so please don't be too harsh, but is there an easy way to distinguish the intake v. exhaust when you're on the bike?
I feel like the exhaust is all I can hear, but I suspect I just don't know the difference between the two sounds and it sounds like one blended thing to me.

For me, the sounds come from different places.  Upon acceleration I hear the intake growl from below the tank.  As the revs increase I hear the exhaust note over the intake.  Somewhere down the line the sounds seem to merge. 

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 04:10:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ric [+]
I'd rather have the howl of the 80's superbikes.   :431:

Me too

Online Oop North John

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Inverurie
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 06:15:08 AM »
Good intake roar is in my opinion better than a loud exhaust as I think it is less annoying to everyone else, so I can enjoy it without feeling guilty.

Offline KansasZ

• Z900RS Junior Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 03:42:31 PM »
Hey maxacceleration somewhere i saw a picture of one of our new bikes (maybe on this forum) with pod filters like you are talking about, they look awesome! This is my first fast motorcycle, its got me wondering how it would compare to a modified 80's four cylinder in speed/power. I don't have any knowledge of crazy ed, i'm relatively new to the motorcycle world. I think somewhere online is pictures of dyno results with/without the stacks i used, i cant say for sure but i think they added 1hp.

hey teebee i ordered my tank badges/exhaust right after i saw the youtube video of your bike, i'm glad you made that video!

I'm glad to hear it wont need to be re-flashed,  i think ill give it a shot then and put the old stacks/filter in and see if i can get any more noise out of this beast.

That CBX is a beauty! I bet it sounds as good as it looks!

Online Evangelos K

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 04:41:05 AM »
I’m not aware of any whine on mine.  There is a very slight gear whine barely audible when decelerating, definitely nothing I can hear when on it, and none coming from the intake.  What comes from it, and the exhaust is a “roar or growl,”  certainly not a whine?

Now, the triple engine on my Street, now that’s a whine.  Like a horny panther in the Amazon.  Simply intoxicating. Even at idle.   :152:
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline OKZ

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Multiple bikes
  • Town / City: Edmond, OK
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 03:15:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Evangelos K [+]
I’m not aware of any whine on mine.  There is a very slight gear whine barely audible when decelerating, definitely nothing I can hear when on it, and none coming from the intake.  What comes from it, and the exhaust is a “roar or growl,”  certainly not a whine?

Now, the triple engine on my Street, now that’s a whine.  Like a horny panther in the Amazon.  Simply intoxicating. Even at idle.   :152:

Yep, nothing like the sound of a Triumph Triple.  :028:

I test rode a BMW K1600B recently with the 1600 straight six and It has a whine much like the Triumph Triples. I got to say I am smitten with it and will likely pick one up as my next distance bike.  :169:
Technology: Man's ability to make simple things complicated.
2018 Z900RS - Hooligan bike
2018 BMW K1600B - for traveling in style and comfort

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 02:00:09 PM »
I don't think my bike has any "whine" either.  Now the Intake sound at WOT is intoxicating which I am sure is pretty much drowned out by an aftermarket exhaust.  I personally like the way the bike sounds stock and will leave it as is.  The time of obnoxiously loud exhausts have past and the few ponies it gains definitely isn't worth the hassle or expense.   Why mess with perfection.    :001:
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Online Oop North John

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Inverurie
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 02:05:08 PM »
The standard exhaust at idle has a nice burble to it, without being offensively noisy. Just as good as the expensive Kawasaki / Akrapovic exhaust IMO.

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 02:35:57 PM »
I got the Akrapovic Slip on Exhaust for free as a promotion that Kawasaki was running earlier this year and to be honest I can barely hear a difference.   Not worth what they are asking for.   I will probably swap back to the Stock can since I like the look better than the Akrapovic muffler. 
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Offline KansasZ

• Z900RS Junior Member
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 08:41:44 PM »
Well i finally got around to putting the stock air filter back in and the standard intake stacks and i cant tell much difference in the sound of the bike. MAYBE a little Whine/howl at lower rpms but as i get on the throttle all i can hear is the  exhaust. I cant really tell any loss in power changing back to the stock parts. I guess ill probably leave it the way it is until i get a quick shifter then swap all the parts back out again.