Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: No whining  (Read 1700 times)

Offline KansasZ

• Z900RS Junior Member
No whining
« on: May 15, 2019, 04:31:34 PM »
hey, i recently installed a stock-to-brock system on my bike and i love the performance/weight reduction/looks,  but i miss the way the engine (or intake?) used to whine when getting on the throttle. I was wondering if i kept the header/muffler and changed my velocity stacks back to normal, and went back with the stock airfilter if id get that whine back, and if i did, would i need to have the computer flashed again for those changes. A Picture of the bike -

Online Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
Re: No whining
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 05:12:50 PM »
Welcome KansasZ. I love the drivetrain whine too, which is what I believe the whine is. Straight cut (louder) or helical gears (quieter) transmission gears are typically the reason.
I think any pipe, especially de-catted will drown out the gear whine.
To me, its the choice of stock pipe and wonderful gear whine, or the wonderful roadrace howl of aftermarket exhaust (for those that like/want the howl of a louder than stock pipe).
I chose the howl of the pipe and I am ok with that.
Lets hear more.
Old is new again

Offline Ozdriver

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 11:38:36 AM »
Did you say you changed the stock intake and air filter? If by whine you mean the noise from the intake, the Kawasaki engineers designed the intake to make that intoxicating howl. Same way they designed the exhaust to sound good.

Offline KansasZ

• Z900RS Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies! I changed the parts out almost immediately after getting the bike, I thought that the noise was coming from the intake, but maybe it was the drivetrain. I did change the "stacks" and also changed to a high flow filter.
stock stacks:
new stacks:

I was wondering if putting the original more restrictive stacks/filter back in might get some intake howl/whine back and if id be alright to run it like that without re-flashing the computer again.

I love the sound of the new exhaust, i just miss a bit of that whining-howling noise id hear when i was getting on the throttle and the bike was stock.

Online Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 06:59:47 PM »
Interesting change on the stacks/tubes KansasZ.
We did a similar mod back in the early 80's on four cylinder bikes (pre Ninja & GSRX ie GPz & GS-ES bikes). We pulled the airbox entirely and put on curved 'tubes' with pod filters on the end. I can't say for sure how much extra power we made, or didn't make (my bike had adjustable Canadian needles - USA needles were fixed), but the bikes that did this were among the fastest in Las Vegas at the time. Wonderful 4 barrel automobile intake drone. My '83 GS750ES w/Action Fours extra plate clutch, would clean up on everything except a GPz 750 national record holder.  :062: Great times.
RB Racing headers and intake tubes, and tuned/jetting by 'Crazy Ed' Malkewecz (spelling?-sorry my old friend Ed, where are you?) ...National record production drag bikes with that tuning on roadracers... Fun sheet!
Maybe you have knowledge of Crazy Ed?

Your bike deserves some dyno time to see if your stacks/tubes swap really does what its supposed to do. I'd be very curious.
I listened yesterday, just to see... putting around my area, and I can still hear my transmission gear train whine when cruising about with my header. But when I'm on it... its all pipe!!
Old is new again

Offline Tee Bee

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Angleton
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 10:56:49 PM »
Mine had a beautiful intake snarl before the S2B package was installed wih the velocity stacks.  My assumption has been that the wonderful sounding but loud Brock's pipe was just drowning out that intake roar.  Going back to the stock stacks definitely might bring it back.  It's easy enough to try and I wouldn't be concerned about reflashing again.  Some people run Brock's flash with the stock intake.  I've decided to leave mine as is since it runs and sounds so great with the mods. 
Getting older, fatter, and faster!

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 12:35:56 AM »
No whining on my Z.  The intake growl or bark is great as is the stock exhaust note.

Online halbie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Portland
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 12:49:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
No whining on my Z.  The intake growl or bark is great as is the stock exhaust note.

Noob question so please don't be too harsh, but is there an easy way to distinguish the intake v. exhaust when you're on the bike?
I feel like the exhaust is all I can hear, but I suspect I just don't know the difference between the two sounds and it sounds like one blended thing to me.

Offline OKZ

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Multiple bikes
  • Town / City: Edmond, OK
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 03:35:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by halbie [+]
Noob question so please don't be too harsh, but is there an easy way to distinguish the intake v. exhaust when you're on the bike?
I feel like the exhaust is all I can hear, but I suspect I just don't know the difference between the two sounds and it sounds like one blended thing to me.

I believe you're hearing the intake more so than the exhaust. Kawasaki spends a lot of time developing their intakes for performance and sound.
Technology: Man's ability to make simple things complicated.
2018 Z900RS - Hooligan bike
2018 BMW K1600B - for traveling in style and comfort

Offline Ric

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: '18 z900rs
  • Town / City: SE Arizona
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 03:46:44 AM »
I'd rather have the howl of the 80's superbikes.   :431:
-'18 z900rs Black
-a couple of fast cars