Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Z900RS Cafe "light" Touring Solution  (Read 2920 times)

Online BMHS

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: West Bend, WI
Re: Z900RS Cafe "light" Touring Solution
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 05:19:50 AM »
Guys,
I think some of you , I saying this politely, missed the point.  When I designed this light touring set-up, the whole point was that it's remove able in about a minute.  The second requirement was that my riding with the bags would not screw up the seat or the bodywork. ABS plastic scratch's very easily, and on this bike it's VERY expensive, check the prices for them in the OEM catalog. Saddlebags do not keep the mass & weight centralized, so handling is mildly effected. Honestly, to each his own, that's what bikes are all about. I like my design, you guys like your's, that's cool.
Brian

Offline peter88

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2019 JAFFA
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 03:01:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by BMHS [+]

PS, To answer Peter88 comment, the real advantage to my system, is that you are not helded to any bag manufacturer, or bag size, like you are with the Venture system. I just happen to use the SW Motech bags, #180 or #260, just because I like their quality.
   You certainly have a choice of many bag sizes with the Ventura system & they are very good quality.

Offline danketchpel

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Camarillo, CA
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 07:37:08 AM »
I have this Nelson Rigg CL-1060-R tail bag setup for my Z900RS. It fits perfectly.

Offline Ove

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: East of England
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 09:31:48 AM »
 Posted by Peter88:  You certainly have a choice of many bag sizes with the Ventura system & they are very good quality.
[/quote]

Peter, I like only 4 bolts to remove to get the bike back to standard for the rest of the week away. I already have a sissy bar bag which would work with this system. I may be doing something wrong, but it doesn't look possible to just buy the Ventura rail, you have to buy their luggage too. Shame.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:33:36 AM by Ove »

Online Oop North John

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Inverurie
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 09:59:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ove [+]
Peter, I like only 4 bolts to remove to get the bike back to standard for the rest of the week away. I already have a sissy bar bag which would work with this system. I may be doing something wrong, but it doesn't look possible to just buy the Ventura rail, you have to buy their luggage too. Shame.

I've just fitted the rails and was lucky enough to pick up a bike rack with the Mistral bag plus the sports rack and a 10 litre bag on ebay. So short trips I'll have the dinky bag, or none at all, longer journeys I'd swap to the bigger bag. I'd guess other packs will easily attach to the sports rack.

https://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/products/bikepacksystem.aspx

Online BMHS

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 09:59:47 PM »
Guys,
I'm on to the "Gen 2"  travel bag rear mounting system. I decided that I did not want the Chinese rear rail, one it costs about $120.00 by the time I take off the powder coat, & second, my bike will never have a passenger on it. So, I started from scratch. The overall idea was to add what was needed, and nothing else. So, I designed a few brackets in CAD, then re-designed them 3 more times, added 12" of DOM tubing, a few mounting tabs, an end strap stop, and my simplified universal mounting rails are finished today. If you look at the bracket photo's, it looks a little busy, but when it's mounted on the bike, it pretty well blends in. Now, I on to finishing the welding fixtures, & designing the "over the seat rack", for the travel bags. The seat lock & key clear the cross bracket. I did not powder coat the prototype, I just bead blasted it, primed it, & painted it matt black. If I produce any production parts, I'll powder coat then matt black, & chrome finish, with clear coat. The odd thing is, that I just made a really stout set of racing number plate brackets.
It's been a fun project.
Brian
SRD,LLC

Online Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 05:22:41 AM »
Nice cad work and weld up BMHS. I like the development thing. I'll keep following... probably be you or Ventura for my short regional travel needs.
Old is new again

Online Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 02:31:42 AM »
How is the latest version of your rack coming along? You have a design you are happy with? It looks solid so far.
Old is new again

Offline smurfbud

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Morpeth
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 07:48:14 AM »
That's beginning to look very promising ...  :062:

Online BMHS

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 02:29:37 AM »
Guys,
I finally have enough work done that I can share some information, and photo's with you. I designed a completely new top rack, that the side parts can be CNC plasma cut. The bottom support rail system is now made on a real fixture, as opposed to a one off prototype. The rail weights 3.2 lb's, the top rack weights 3.1 lb's. The top rack cross rails/tubing is .500"x.049", so as to not add any undo extra weight. The bottom rail is TIG & MIG welded, the top rack is TIG bronze welded, which is very strong, as well as flexible, less prone to cracking. I have 12 sets of aluminum spacers being made at my supplier, so initially, I can make 12 complete units, including one for me. I'll probably have 4 done by next week. Last week I put 100 mile on the prototype loaded with the 180 SW Motech bag, no issues. I borrowed a Z900RS seat today, to make sure it would work as well, Please see the photo's, it did. Depend how handy you are with tools, the top rack removes in about 1 to 2 minutes. Even though everything a fixture welded, these are all hand made, one at a time, in a little shop at my home in West Bend, WI. However we do not employ any Trolls or Elves. It's just me, welding, fabricating, and sweeping the floor. The retail price will be $235.00, the forum price will be $195.00.
Brian