Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Z900RS Cafe "light" Touring Solution  (Read 2919 times)

Online BMHS

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: West Bend, WI
Z900RS Cafe "light" Touring Solution
« on: May 15, 2019, 02:55:19 AM »
Guys,
I'm not one to do heavy touring anymore. But I still want to do a 500/600 mile trip once in a while. I just couldn't bear to put saddlebags on my Cafe, so I tried to figure out a better solution for my style of riding. I first went to the Twisted Throttle web site. They are the SW Motech importers for the US. I found that the 180 & 260 Dry Bags were the perfect solution to my weekend style riding. Now, how to mount them, so that the ABS plastic, & the seat don't get rubbed against over 500 miles of light touring. I first purchased, one of the non-chromed, powder coated rear seat rails. I removed the powder coat with Methylene Chloride, nasty stuff, so that I could weld 4 mounting tabs, for the Dry Bag rack. I then fabricated an aluminum rack that is quick mountable & detachable. I just spent the last 10 days under the weather, so today was the first day that I had a chance to take it out for a 30 mile test ride.  I mounted the 180 bag, loaded with a bunch of old towels, just to give it some bulk & weight. All went according to plan, no issues, the system works. I don't even know the bag is back there behind me, cornering is exactly the same. It was a fair amount of work, but I like the finished result. i did not re-powder coat the rail, or rack, just painted them flat black, just in case I need to make any modifications. The whole system can be mounted, or removed in about 5 minutes. The bags, once adjusted to the bike can be mounted in about 2 minutes.
Brian

Online Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
Re: Z900RS Cafe "light" Touring Solution
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 05:59:57 AM »
Great job BMHS.  :028: Touring light is right up my alley. Good locating right over the passenger section of the seat. You should sell that design.
I will go the Ventura rack/bag route - probably much more expensive than your garage built... But the same idea.
A small tailbag is the best way IMO to keep the sporty RS lines.

Old is new again

Offline seanile

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900 RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Boston
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 03:21:25 PM »
very clean solution, would definitely consider buying that if that was commercially available.

Online BMHS

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 01:32:38 AM »
Guys
Let me see how much time is involved with the job. The biggest issue is the rear rail that I got out of CA, it's powder coated. Powder coat is a real pain to remove. If I had, say, 10 to do, then I would drop them off at a place in Milwaukee that removes powder coat commercially. Once I made a fixture to weld the parts up, it wouldn't be as time consuming as doing the prototype.
Brian

Offline seanile

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900 RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Boston
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 01:37:30 AM »
Take a look at citristrip. Ive stripped powder a few times with great success. Scrape it off with a paint scraper then wire wheel/burn off the rest

Offline peter88

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2019 JAFFA
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 02:29:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Maxacceleration [+]
Great job BMHS.  :028: Touring light is right up my alley. Good locating right over the passenger section of the seat. You should sell that design.
I will go the Ventura rack/bag route - probably much more expensive than your garage built... But the same idea.
A small tailbag is the best way IMO to keep the sporty RS lines.

The benefits to the Ventura system are that you can buy many different size bags (mine is the Aero Spada 51 litres) & turn the rack it so it sits over the seat or toward the rear of the bike if you want to carry a pillion, & it doesn't look too bad with the small grab rail fitted when you are not using the larger rack & bag.
If you don't want to use the rack as a permanent fixture on the bike, you only have to remove 4 bolts to take it off.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 02:38:11 AM by peter88 »

Online BMHS

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 02:24:21 AM »
Guys,
I have done some research into manufacturing the seat rail, & rack system that I prototyped on my Z900RS Cafe. Instead of buying the cheap chinese rear seat rail, and having to remove the powder coat, I have decided to just manufacture the seat rail. I can add some add-ons that would be great for touring, like some strap hold down anchor points in the rear area, which are missing, & needed right now. So, I working out what all CAD parts, & bending tooling that I need. I have not worked out all the material, & manufacturing costs yet, but I would Imagine that complete, less the SW Motech bags, it will be in the $200.00 to $250.00 range.
Brian
PS, To answer Peter88 comment, the real advantage to my system, is that you are not helded to any bag manufacturer, or bag size, like you are with the Venture system. I just happen to use the SW Motech bags, #180 or #260, just because I like their quality.

Online Maxacceleration

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: '19 Cafe RR
  • Town / City: Central Wa
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 03:45:24 AM »
Tell us why the ram ball mount BMHS... Lashing points are needed yes, but keep it streamlined and not fuddled up! And some lash their packs with bungee cord hooks & others use straps & buckles. Think about that as far as design.
I will have to think seriously about jumping in line. Your set up is sensible. And Ventura does have a clean set up too.
Decisions decisions
Old is new again

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 03:55:00 AM »
I too tour ‘light’ with a small 12” seatbag and a small tankbag and for long tours, a large 22” seatbag and riding solo I don’t see the need for a rack over the seat.

Online Evangelos K

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900RS cafe
  • Town / City: New Orleans METRO
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 04:34:36 AM »
Nelsonrig makes great... rigs in many sizes. I can’t bring myself to think to even put a rack on my cafe...I don’t like it, not on this bike.  The Nelsonrig rests on the seat, and it is 100% secure.  I have a small/medium I utilize on my Street Triple, and it fits and looks great. It will be used on the Z too. 
2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
2013 Triumph Street Triple R