Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Rear shock preload  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Bruno

• Z900RS Member
Re: Rear shock preload
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2019, 08:39:56 PM »
Glad that wrench worked for you. I have several but most are too big to access the shock. The one I use that works every time is the Bikemaster adjustable:

https://www.ebay.com/p/BikeMaster-Adjustable-Steering-Stem-Wrench-Motorcycle-Tools/656763080

It also has has a hole to accept a 3/8 drive so you can use it to torque steering head stems.

*Originally Posted by seanile [+]
Alllright, update on my progress.
Ive got 8% preloaded free sag and 30% preloaded rider sag (rear). Front ive got the preload adjustments spun in 5 turns vs the shop-set 3 turns.
My adjustable hook wrench was crap and didnt get the clearance needed, and no way in hell i was spending $130 for the service manual-specific wrench thru partzilla. So whatd i use?
The lockring tool i have for my bicycles, a Hozan.
https://www.amazon.com/Lockring-Headset-Bottom-Bracket-Radius/dp/B0017SE6ZY

Spun it in about 8 or so threads from the shop-set 3 threads. Way better for me, and highly recommend buying that lockring wrench over anything else.

Side note, i was note able to unmarry the lockring from the adjustment ring, so i just spun them as a single unit

Offline Forks-by-Matt

• Approved Vendor
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Alexandria, VA
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 02:54:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bourbon [+]
Remarkable difference compared to how it came from the dealer and also the best suspension on any bike I've owned.

I would imagine upgrading the suspension would be even better but this works for me as is.
I'm afraid to ask what you rode previously...
True the -RS suspension isn't "just shoot me now" bad (that's reserved for the Z900) by a long shot, but the aftermarket is a very noticeable and welcome step up.

Set the fork compression to full open and about 3/4 turn out on the fork rebound and experiment from there. The stock spring (600lb/in) is good to 200lb rider and you can push it as far as 220. somebody 250lbs or more should have at least a 675lb/in spring. 275lbs+ would be a 700lb/in spring.

Offline Bourbon

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: PA
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 01:21:30 AM »
Previous bikes were Harleys with limited suspension adjustability.  It's nice having a bike with the ability to fine tune suspension.

And you are definitely right, I'm at 210 and barely made the cut for having proper rider sag AND free sag.

Online NKOTB 900RS

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: West Sussex
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2019, 03:14:48 PM »
I've just adjusted the preload on the rear and I didn't remove the shock. Took the seat off, mounted the bike on my Abba stand and adjusted the loading. was actually quite easy.
Kawasaki H1E; Triumph Bonneville Newchurch; Suzuki GSX1400
Triumph Thunderbird; Suzuki Bandit 600; Kawasaki GPZ500
Honda CB750W; Honda VTR500; Honda VTR250 (work hack)
Suzuki T250 (work hack); Kawasaki KH500; Laverda 750SF2
Yamaha RD200