Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Rear shock preload  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Bruno

• Z900RS Member
Re: Rear shock preload
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2019, 08:39:56 PM »
Glad that wrench worked for you. I have several but most are too big to access the shock. The one I use that works every time is the Bikemaster adjustable:

https://www.ebay.com/p/BikeMaster-Adjustable-Steering-Stem-Wrench-Motorcycle-Tools/656763080

It also has has a hole to accept a 3/8 drive so you can use it to torque steering head stems.

*Originally Posted by seanile [+]
Alllright, update on my progress.
Ive got 8% preloaded free sag and 30% preloaded rider sag (rear). Front ive got the preload adjustments spun in 5 turns vs the shop-set 3 turns.
My adjustable hook wrench was crap and didnt get the clearance needed, and no way in hell i was spending $130 for the service manual-specific wrench thru partzilla. So whatd i use?
The lockring tool i have for my bicycles, a Hozan.
https://www.amazon.com/Lockring-Headset-Bottom-Bracket-Radius/dp/B0017SE6ZY

Spun it in about 8 or so threads from the shop-set 3 threads. Way better for me, and highly recommend buying that lockring wrench over anything else.

Side note, i was note able to unmarry the lockring from the adjustment ring, so i just spun them as a single unit

Offline Forks-by-Matt

• Approved Vendor
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Alexandria, VA
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 02:54:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bourbon [+]
Remarkable difference compared to how it came from the dealer and also the best suspension on any bike I've owned.

I would imagine upgrading the suspension would be even better but this works for me as is.
I'm afraid to ask what you rode previously...
True the -RS suspension isn't "just shoot me now" bad (that's reserved for the Z900) by a long shot, but the aftermarket is a very noticeable and welcome step up.

Set the fork compression to full open and about 3/4 turn out on the fork rebound and experiment from there. The stock spring (600lb/in) is good to 200lb rider and you can push it as far as 220. somebody 250lbs or more should have at least a 675lb/in spring. 275lbs+ would be a 700lb/in spring.

Offline Bourbon

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: PA
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 01:21:30 AM »
Previous bikes were Harleys with limited suspension adjustability.  It's nice having a bike with the ability to fine tune suspension.

And you are definitely right, I'm at 210 and barely made the cut for having proper rider sag AND free sag.