Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Breakin' her in  (Read 1992 times)

Offline peter88

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 JAFFA
Re: Breakin' her in
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 12:04:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
You oil looked “dirty”?  How?  Off color, dark brown instead of honey color?  Or shavings, shiny metal slivers?
  Just not golden brown like new oil, cloudy & a little greyish I suppose, and there were very minute metal particles which has always been my experience with every bike I have run in. Like I said, I would not want the oil to look like new after the 1st 1000km's. There will be varying opinions on this subject but I am happy knowing how & where i ran the bike in. My experience seeing friends bikes run in too softly is that they always end up using oil because they don't put them under any load, they just ride flat roads & baby it too much.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:46:31 PM by peter88 »

Offline TallyRex

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 12:14:32 PM »
I did not follow the Kawa break in.  After about 150 miles I started bringing her up to about 6,000rpms and then after about 300 miles to 7,000- 8,000.  Changed my oil at 500 miles (dino) and it was still golden.  I never rode it at a constant rpm for more than 3 minutes and stayed off the highways.  At 4,000 miles, just did my 2nd oil change (full synth) and it was a little "dirty", but she is running great.

Offline peter88

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »
Did my 2nd oil change at 2000km's and it was much cleaner, running fully synthetic now.

Offline Dirty Dave

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Montreal
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 12:30:20 PM »
My break-in oil was quite cloudy and I was super anal about keeping the revs under 4K, difficult I know.

I found the low seat quite comfortable, numb bum wise, but don't like the pitching forward onto the tank feeling.
With the standard seat there are more places to position myself but the downside is more numb bum.
Hoping that the seat will break in and soften up.

I am a taller rider and find the Z quite comfortable. Adjusted suspension, softer in front and harder rear.
Stock tires seem to wear quickly from freeway riding. Flat middle strip at 3000 kms (1800 miles)
Gotta do more twisties.
18 Z900RS Jaffa
97 Honda Valkyrie
79 Honda GoldWing

Offline Mandrake

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900rs Cafe
  • Town / City: Rogers
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 05:10:15 PM »
I installed the reduced reach seat on my Cafe. A little less padding than the standard seat but a big difference in being able to flat foot the bike. I am 5'8" with a 31" inseam. I don't find the seat that bad. My longest ride so far has been 160 miles and it didn't feel too bad. Nothing like a BMW seat that I consider some type of teutonic torture!
As regards the brakes, at first I thought they felt a little mushy also but after putting a couple of good rides on them they must have bedded in nicely as now they feel really good with plenty of feel.
The throttle on mine was never terrible but had a small amount of snatch to it. At the first service the dealer adjusted the free play and now the throttle feels great. My colleague has the original root beer version and his throttle is driving him to despair.
This bike brings a smile to my face like no other bike has done for a long while.

Offline peter88

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 12:59:52 AM »
According to a very good upholsterer i used to use, it takes a thousand Klm's or more for any seat to bed in properly, and usually the softer the padding, the less comfortable it will be in the long run (Harley lounge suites aside).  I have no idea why people are complaing about the front brakes, they are brilliant imo, what is it that they don't do properly ? I musn't be getting the back wheel in the air enough to notice ?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:04:52 AM by peter88 »

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Lohja
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 11:20:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Markymoto [+]
I'll be using Castrol GO! Dino & a K&N filter for this 1st one & then switch over to a full syn @ 3K miles.

Google "K&N failure". I would not use a K&N oil filter (unless they have fixed the problem  :027:).

Offline Travelman

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS / FJR1300
  • Town / City: South Shields
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 11:26:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by zeta [+]
Google "K&N failure". I would not use a K&N oil filter (unless they have fixed the problem  :027:).

Useful information. Iíd always assumed that K&N filters were the Ďbees kneesí but now Iíd be very reluctant to use them.

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 07:27:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Travelman [+]
Useful information. Iíd always assumed that K&N filters were the Ďbees kneesí but now Iíd be very reluctant to use them.

Iíve used K&N oil filters on my Hayabusa since 2006 and have over 60,000 miles on it.  No worries. 

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Lohja
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 08:54:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
Iíve used K&N oil filters on my Hayabusa since 2006 and have over 60,000 miles on it.  No worries.

And you can continue to do so at your own risk.  :002:

http://www.sttforum.com/index.php?threads/k-n-oil-filters.19691/