Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Fenda Extenda installation.  (Read 1526 times)

Offline ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Oshawa
Fenda Extenda installation.
« on: April 13, 2019, 11:52:07 PM »
Well I was at it again today. Got rid of the side front reflectors and took apart the fender...WOW...they don't want you removing this without taking off the wheel!!! :005:

I needed the clearance to scuff up the underside and clean it (it wasn't dirty) and ready for mounting the fender extender...

Well it was more of an ordeal doing it this way...but meh it won't be hard to put together and I likely will do it again to clean under the brackets and might install a side marker light in the reflectors place...

Attached are the pics of the hardware and brackets underneath. You cannot remove the fender without removing the wheel unless you want to drill out the rivits for the brake hoses....I hoped they were screwed it...nope..

But once a day has passed I'll button it all up and take an AFTER shot...for now enjoy the pics

This one goes under the fender for support note it is facing up in this picture as it came off the bike.
All 5MM allen (I think I said torque in my tail tidy pics..whoops) bolts...

All waiting to cure now...the tape supplied in the kit should work fine there was enough spread over the entire surface contact area so it likely won't ever be a problem...

Finished pics to come....maybe tomorrow?

Scott
 :305: :821:

81 Kawasaki KZ 750E2
84 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk S (Canadian Model)
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
18 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

Offline Ove

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: East of England
Re: Fenda Extenda installation.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 10:17:42 AM »
 :152: good pics and a proper job. I didn't fancy messing with the rivets, so got a scotch pad under the fender and did my best to just key it in a bit. It hasn't moved yet, but summer riding and heat could be a test. Will keep an eye on it.

Offline ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »
Thanks OVE...

Yeah I hope no issues in summer heat, but I'd expect it will be fine as the automotive grade adhesive pads seem to stick well. I even tried to move 1 and no way I'd rip it off...so staying power they have! :152:

I was thinking of trying to do it without moving the fender, but not enough clearance for me to get my clamps on it to keep pressure over a day. And as stated I now know how it comes apart so for cleaning it will help..I'll likely try to WAX that area too first before re-assembly..I may even opt to put a thin piece of black door guard around the front lip of the mudguard/fender to stop any chipping along the edge....old bikes had chrome fenders and were thicker..these new plastic ones are more prone to cracking at the leading edge...seen a few older bikes like that with only issue being the front part was split likley from a tiny crack from stone chip and wind helping it along the way....so the thin edging may help prevent that from ever starting.....

Anyway thanks for the encouragement.....

81 Kawasaki KZ 750E2
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
18 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

Offline ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 12:53:56 AM »
So the fender is now re-secured to the bike with all hardware tightned down. About 10 mintues to put it back together.

After pics above.

And this is one of the Tools or tricks of tools used to get that rear 5mm allen head bolt out from behind the fender when no room from the wheel rim to use a T handle...got this kit a few years ago. Worth it's weight in tight spots...a 1/4" gear drive would work but not hold the bit as well and not as easy to use and REVERSIBLE as this little guy it!!!

:305:  :821:
81 Kawasaki KZ 750E2
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
18 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 01:16:53 AM »
What brand is it?  The pics seem to show the edges of the extender running up along side the fender quite a ways.  True?  Does that edge continue underneath to the other side?  The Powerbronze version doesn’t go up underneath the fender very far at all and requires drilling.  The Pyramid Plastics model also requires drilling as the tape supplied is meant only for positioning according to their website instructions. 

Offline ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 03:33:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
What brand is it?  The pics seem to show the edges of the extender running up along side the fender quite a ways.  True?  Does that edge continue underneath to the other side?  The Powerbronze version doesn’t go up underneath the fender very far at all and requires drilling.  The Pyramid Plastics model also requires drilling as the tape supplied is meant only for positioning according to their website instructions.

Pyramid Plastics is the manufacturer and it's called the Fender Extenda by name. Yes it goes up to just past the rivits in the side that hold the brackets for the brake lines. And straight across to the other side. I used the tape provided it is strong enough to hold it. I NEVER plan on screwing into the fender to use rivets or any other fasteners. It can be installed (as instructions show provided with it) by either method. IF it came OFF (unlikely) I wouldn't replace it but no way am I drilling into a plastic fender...that does vibrate at speed. Disaster waiting to happen...it will crack over time and be the reason that fender falls off!!! The tape is good enough to keep emblems on and body side mouldings it's good enough for this application....or I'd have not used it...or thought of installing this...I've heard of some others using 2 part expoxy products etc...for the weight of this and the limited stress it's under I think that's over kill....It wasn't cheap, but not expensive either and helps with keeping muck (if ever) off the radiator and headers so it's worth it IMO.....

81 Kawasaki KZ 750E2
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
18 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 03:57:14 AM »
I went with a Powerbronze version as it appeared to be longer.  The fitment was great but not much of it tucked up under the fender though.  I used epoxy with clamps and loosened the fender as well and somewhere on a 200 mile ride I lost it.  I used epoxy because their website showed it attached w/o screws.  As I mentioned earlier though, their website and Pyramid’s both stated the fender should be drilled. 
Pyramid said:
“The tape provides a temporary fit only”  (but also, contradicting itself)  said,  “Extenda Fenda is supplied with both plastic rivets for mechanical fitment and a sheet of our specially sourced 'Stick Fit Pads' for those customers who would prefer not to drill their front mudguard”

So, I wonder, if yours falls off having not drilled the fender, will they replace it?’  Powerbronze said ‘sorry’ but didn’t offer to replace it since I didn’t drill the fender. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:58:41 AM by CaliZed9 »

Online halbie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Portland
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 06:58:26 AM »
For reference, here is the Powerbronze with two screws and some glue. (CaliZed, I know you’ve seen this from the other thread)

I was able to get all of the lip of the extender under the fender.

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 07:23:29 PM »
The Pyramid folks are very nice and sent me this (new) version of their install instructions.  It seems to be more secure as it fits farther underneath and therefore has more surface area with which to use adhesive.  The Powerbronze is longer and to me, looks a bit better but, w/o drilling, the Pyramid version looks to be a good fit.

https://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk/downloads/fitting_instructions/Push-Rivet-&-Stick-Fit-Extenda-Fenda-&-Hugger-Extension-Instructions-WEBSITE.jpg

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:16:26 PM by CaliZed9 »

Offline ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 01:44:59 AM »
@ CaliZed9

Glad they sent you the updated instructions. I read it on the site I purchased from as they had the link there as well as when I got the package. Infact the sheet was missing from the package and Pyramid sent them to me when I indicated they didn't come with the fender...I ensured that at the sides where the rivits are that the indentations show got some stick stuff so it helps as that air gap was one place I could see any type of movement from at speed. If I could get the fender OFF completely (without removing the wheel) I'd have run a strip at the leading edge underneath so no gap at the leading edge at all..then likely never have any issues.

I did like the powerbronze for length but it did look heavier and didn't like the logo actually at the rear so I'm happy with this one. I hope you have no more issues but I'd bet you'll have years of service from this!!

81 Kawasaki KZ 750E2
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
18 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe