Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Horn  (Read 4612 times)

RetroZ, hootie, Mudslinger and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Hillie

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Camas
Re: Horn
Reply #30 on: October 16, 2020, 03:02:25 PM
A quick peek on Amazon seemed to show some piaa sets have a relatively low current draw on (specced at 2.7A each, with a guy testing it reporting even less), so it looks like you should be safe.

Online Hillie

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
Reply #31 on: Today at 01:42:50 AM
After being pleasantly surprised by the low current requirements that the PIAA horns have, I decided to get these guys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00067BWBI

Just installed them, between the big headlight nuts on the side and they are most definitely louder and sound more like an actual vehicle. :002:

They come with some extra wires with ground tab connectors (spades? I don't know what they're called), which I modified to get power to both horns. Not the prettiest on the left side, I'm thinking of doing some heat shrink or electrical tape to make it all black and get the wires tucked away a little nicer.

I was pleasantly surprised, I thought I'd check em out and most likely return them, but although big,I found something that works. The mountain goat-ish aesthetics might not be a crowd pleaser, but I'm pleased so far.
I did remove two out of 3 stickers from each, considering removing the last one as well, although it's somewhat discrete.

Last Edit: Today at 02:25:35 AM by Hillie

Offline Hank

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: VICTORIA
Reply #32 on: Today at 04:12:41 AM
Thanks for that Hillie. I fitted my PIAA's yesterday and am very pleased with the result. They are the smaller horns, comprising the 500 & 400hz. The sound is VERY GOOD and is a significant improvement on the stock "meep meep" horn. In saying this I have a DENALI SOUND BOMB air horn fitted to another bike ,which horn is excellent, & with which I ran an immediate comparison. The PIAA's did not disappoint. I fitted mine just below the headlight and mid way between the forks so they do not look foreign to the aesthetics of the bike. I painted black the bracket I manufactured and used black shrink wrap so all is pretty well tucked away. I also removed the horn stickers so plain black. I regret I don't have the requisite "skills" to post photos or I'd do so but I assure readers they are a good fit and sound is superb. It remains to be seen whether I need a seperate relay. To date I've just ran off the factory horn points. Checks with brakes, indicators etc applied to date show no problems. I highly recommend these. Cheers all, Hank.

Online Hillie

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
Reply #33 on: Today at 04:40:39 AM
Mine definitely do look different, I took the slightly bigger ones for the higher SPL rating. They definitely are a lot louder than standard. I think we'll be ok without a relay, given the current requirements.

Offline Hank

• Z900RS Junior Member
Reply #34 on: Today at 05:06:50 AM
I'm struggling to upload photos but if you go to the photos gallery, you'll see my shots just posted there. Hank.

Online Hillie

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
Reply #35 on: Today at 05:15:54 AM
You can find the bb-code by your picture and use that in a response here, it'll put the pic in the message.

Online sklover

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 18 Candytone
  • Town / City: bothell
Reply #36 on: Today at 05:40:36 AM
for example:

Offline Hank

• Z900RS Junior Member
Reply #37 on: Today at 12:04:02 PM
I've tried but unsuccessful.
Thanks sklover. I'd be grateful if you could kindly post my other 2 shots as they may assist other owners.
In the meantime, I'll seek some help as to how to post photos for future use. I'm almost there!!!!.
HANK

Online jonnyteabag

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Pendle
Reply #38 on: Today at 03:16:07 PM
Have you checked that those horns under the bottom yoke don't hit the front mud guard (fender for our friends in the Colonies :164:) under hard braking.
They look pretty low...would hate to see them smack the lovely paint work.
Could of course be the camera angle.

Just sayin :164:

JT :015:

Offline Atweis

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Westport
Reply #39 on: Today at 05:07:33 PM
Would anyone who has changed their horn on their Cafe model to something other than the stock horn, like to sell me mounting bracket on the back of the stock horn that they are no no longer using?