Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Lowering the RS  (Read 860 times)

Offline Stone

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Root Beer & Orange
  • Town / City: Ramsey
Lowering the RS
« on: March 02, 2019, 04:08:47 AM »
I'm contemplating lowering the bike a bit as it's a little too tall for me.  It's not a big thing but it would be nice if it were a little lower.  Unfortunately I have zero experience in this area so I'm looking for advice and guidance from those with experience.

If I go down this path I want to be sure I don't wreck the ride characteristics of the bike so I'd rather not do it at all if that's much of a risk.  I can certainly live with things as they now are but if I can lower it some without messing up the bike I'll give it serious consideration.

I'm looking at seat mods as well but in this thread I'd like to get a discussion of lower the bike itself going...ideas on how best to go about it, pros and cons, etc.

Offline Blingal

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Frankfurt
Re: Lowering the RS
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 09:49:19 PM »
I have the lower seat already, but Id like to lower it just a few more centimeters to get both my feet securely flat on the ground. Ive seen loads of lowering kits ranging from 34 to 330€. But I couldnt find a "how to".

Id be really interested to hear from those of you whoe have lowered their RS, how they did it, which product, ride characteristics and if you had to use any special tools?

Offline Y2K18

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Kawi Z900RS
  • Town / City: Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 10:30:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stone [+]
I'm contemplating lowering the bike a bit as it's a little too tall for me.  It's not a big thing but it would be nice if it were a little lower.  Unfortunately I have zero experience in this area so I'm looking for advice and guidance from those with experience.

If I go down this path I want to be sure I don't wreck the ride characteristics of the bike so I'd rather not do it at all if that's much of a risk.  I can certainly live with things as they now are but if I can lower it some without messing up the bike I'll give it serious consideration.

I'm looking at seat mods as well but in this thread I'd like to get a discussion of lower the bike itself going...ideas on how best to go about it, pros and cons, etc.

The lower seat makes a world of difference. I'm only 5'8" and I can easily flat foot with the low seat.

Offline Stone

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 03:28:49 AM »
I'm considering the seat change as well though the more I ride the bike (150+ miles so far) the more comfortable I am with my footing at stops and from everything I've read the reduced reach seat feels like it's made of stone.  Haven't made any decisions yet, just looking for more info on lowering the bike so I can get to a more informed decision.

Offline Buckshot

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Jaffa
  • Town / City: Sydney
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 03:37:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stone [+]
I'm considering the seat change as well though the more I ride the bike (150+ miles so far) the more comfortable I am with my footing at stops and from everything I've read the reduced reach seat feels like it's made of stone.  Haven't made any decisions yet, just looking for more info on lowering the bike so I can get to a more informed decision.

I also am "physically challenged" with the inside leg measurement department.

I bought the lower OEM seat and at the same time bought a pair of replacement rear shock mounting plates from Webike......

https://japan.webike.net/products/23615013.html

I have had no problems with the set up and I'm a heavy guy, have not needed to lower the triple clamp on the forks as someone told me once as in real terms the 20mm lower shock bracket effective angle adjustment at the steering head in negligible.

The lower seat is a bit more firm than the std item due to less padding to allow for the lower position, if I need to go on all day rides I normall take along an "Air Hawk" in my back just in case.......

https://www.airhawk.com.au/product_details.php?product_category_id=28&product_id=87

They are excellet!!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:41:56 AM by Buckshot »
Riding a motorcycle is the best fun one can have with clothes on!
Z900RS Jaffa
Moto Guzzi 1400 California Custom.

Offline Andyb1962

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Jaffa
  • Town / City: Rotherham
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 02:19:42 PM »
Several ways to do this
Low seat
Lowering kit (dog bones )
Custom lower shock
Or a combination of .

If lowering the back more than a few mm .
Drop the forks throw the yokes to keep same geometry.
You will lose some ground clearance but unless your on a race track . You’ll be fine .

Online artemix66

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Gers
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 03:32:30 PM »
Hello everyone,
I've found this here in France:
https://www.mca-online.eu/index.php?route=product/product&path=9_16&product_id=3799&sort=pd.name&order=ASC&limit=100

It's right for me, I'm only 160cm tall and this kit is fine.

Offline Stone

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 03:05:25 PM »
If I were to lower the bike I'd lower the whole thing not just the rear end so my question is how much is too much and what are the risks of lowering the bike outside of pegs scraping.

I'm not looking to do anything radical and perhaps the reduced reach seat (ordered today) will be enough.  Is 1" about the limit and anything more adds complications or is there more room to play with?

Hopefully the seat does the trick and if it's uncomfortable I can have it modified but it cant hurt to learn more about the lowering process and its limitations.

Thanks

Offline jamimages

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z 900 RS
  • Town / City: Feldkirch
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:10:46 PM »
Lowering the bike does not make it better, you will loose ground clearance driving corners. That means to loose fun  :110:
As many ohers here, i have the lower seat, which is a little bit harder but that is not a lack of comfort in my opinion. If the bike ist still high enough, you also can work with a slightly thicker sole (+ 1 cm for examle) on your boots, every shoemaker can do that and it is as effective as simple.

Offline Stone

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 09:57:28 PM »
The lower seat is first on my agenda and it has been ordered.  We'll see how that goes and work from there.

The sole of my boots...hadn't thought of that...excellent idea!!

Lowering the bike is my final option but figured I'd start the discussion while I wait for seat.