Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Z900RS 16 Tooth Countershaft Sprocket  (Read 6051 times)

Offline gpd323

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Spanaway
Re: Z900RS 16 Tooth Countershaft Sprocket
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2019, 01:31:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by IndyTom [+]
Okay, I just came back from a Speedometer testing ride.   Using the Speedometer App Pro (Paid the Dollar and 10 cents so I don't have to worry about stupid ads).   Bike is still on the 15T sprocket and I tested on a wide open country road without traffic and at various speeds and gears.   Looks like the Speedometer is set a bit Optimistic at 40, 50 and 60 mph it was consistently off by 3 mph.   Meaning when the Bike's speedometer indicated 40, 50 and 60 the Speedometer GPS App showed 37, 47 and 57.    So when your bike's Speedometer reads 40mph you are really only going 37mph.    I will run the same test again once I have the 16T sprocket installed and see if it makes any difference.

Yes, update us. So cool that you are ding this.
Greg D
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Offline Dirty Dave

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Montreal
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2019, 01:33:08 AM »
 :490:
18 Z900RS Jaffa
97 Honda Valkyrie
79 Honda GoldWing

Offline Salnap

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Massachusetts
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2019, 09:32:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by gpd323 [+]
All of mine were faster than actual. Case: 2006 ZX14. Speedo read 8.8% higher than actual. The only way to correct this was with a speedohealer.

That's what I meant to type. I totally botched that statement. I've only ridden with GPS a couple times, that showed 3 to 5 miles off

Online Mastrocinque

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawa Z900-RS Brown
  • Town / City: So Paulo
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2019, 04:02:02 PM »
Okay, I just came back from a Speedometer testing ride.   Using the Speedometer App Pro (Paid the Dollar and 10 cents so I don't have to worry about stupid ads).   Bike is still on the 15T sprocket and I tested on a wide open country road without traffic and at various speeds and gears.   Looks like the Speedometer is set a bit Optimistic at 40, 50 and 60 mph it was consistently off by 3 mph.   Meaning when the Bike's speedometer indicated 40, 50 and 60 the Speedometer GPS App showed 37, 47 and 57.    So when your bike's Speedometer reads 40mph you are really only going 37mph.    I will run the same test again once I have the 16T sprocket installed and see if it makes any difference.

Cool, Tom!

Very nice of you to test the before X after!!

Im curious to know the speed with the 16T sprocket.
Paulo Mastrocinque

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2019, 07:06:33 PM »
Shipment from Partzilla is due to arrive tomorrow however, the weather calls for Thunderstorms and Tornado chances for Thursday and Friday.  I will install it on Saturday at a friends house and do some runs at that time.  I also downloaded another GPS app and will compare it to the Speedometer app I have now.  Just to make sure.   

I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Offline Kawabunga

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Westfield
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2019, 07:14:37 PM »

The fact that it's 3 MPH over actual regardless of speed, rather than X% over actual, suggests that the bike's computer knows what speed you're actually going but they have programmed it to add 3 mph to that for what it shows you.  If the discrepancy was a function of gearing or final drive or tire size or whatever, it would be a constant percentage off but a different number of MPH off at different speeds.

My past bikes have all been optimistic (I don't remember whether the KLR was or not), but I believe they were a constant percentage off.  On my SV1000 the speedo was 6% fast at all speeds.  When I put in a smaller countersprocket the speedometer became accurate, at all speeds.  (IIRC)

Looking forward to seeing what the impact of a 16T countersprocket will be.

Offline Y2K18

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Kawi Z900RS
  • Town / City: Raleigh, NC
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2019, 07:35:38 PM »
This is what I found on my stock RS.... At 20 mph actual speed is 18 mph. From 30 mph thru 70 mph actual speed was 3 mph slower.

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2019, 02:50:28 PM »
I did more runs yesterday with the other GPS app and Y2k18 is correct at the lower speeds 10 and 20 the speedo is only 2 mph off.  Starting at 30 mph the speedometer is off by 3 mph. 
The 16T sprocket will arrive today but with 3 1/2 inches of rain and chances of Tornadoes I will have to postpone my speed comparison runs until sometime Saturday or Easter Sunday. 
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Offline hell-wart

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawa Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Bingen/ Rhein
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2019, 09:03:47 PM »
Hi Tom,

maybe you have seen the weather forecast for the Easter weekend in good old Germany ?

22 to 25 degrees Celsius and sun  ( 71.6 - 77 )

I will do similar tests with my App to compare.  => Its moving to a scientific project to change the sprocket  :821:   :047:

Now we need someone from Australia to be 100% sure  :084:

Wish you all a good Easter weekend.  Ride save

Regards Holger

My bike history:  Yamaha TY50, Suzuki GT250, Honda CB 650, Kawasaki Z 650, Kawasaki Zephyr 550 + Yamaha XS 400, Harley Sportster 1986 + Kawasaki Zephyr 750 D,
Today: Kawasaki Z900 RS + Harley Sportster 1986

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »
WOW, looks like Germany has much nicer weather than here in Indiana.  Tornadoes, Heavy Rain and much colder temperatures.  Tomorrow morning only around 2 degrees Celsius and we may only warm up to around 7 to 8 degrees Celsius for the next 2 days.   However, Sunday is suppose to be better and we may reach around 17 or 18 degrees Celsius. 
Seems the Speedometer isn't off by as much in Germany as they are here.  3mph is about 4.5 kmh difference.  So if yours is only off by a couple of km than that is a lot better than here.
Got my 16T  Sprocket today but won't be able to install it until this weekend and maybe do some runs on Sunday.   
Let me know if anyone in Germany wants to sell their OEM LED Turn Signals.  I want to swap out my American (Non LED cheap looking) Turn signals to the rest of the world version. 
Have a Happy Easter as well.  Lucky people in Europe have Good Friday off and have Easter Monday off as well.  4 day weekend!  Not so much here in the US.  Friday is like any other day and we don't have an Easter Monday.    Happy Easter to Everyone on the Forum.  Ride Safe everyone!