Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Anyone riding with a modular helmet?  (Read 689 times)

Online Redlinez

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: 18 Z900RS
  • Town / City: North Carolina
Anyone riding with a modular helmet?
« on: February 14, 2019, 02:52:10 AM »
I'm totally new to the naked bike deal.  I have a long oval head and few helmets fit without a pressure point on my forehead, or way to loose in the cheeks.  My Scorpion EXO-500 has worked for me these last 4 years, but it's time for something that kind of matches my black RS (helmet is red/white/blue).  I also typically wear a 2XL, so my choices have been limited.  I'm addicted to the drop down visor too.  I found a last version Shoei Neotec that I really like the paint scheme.  It's brand new, but has 2 years of life left in it since it was made in 2014.  I want something gloss black with some silver/gold in the graphics with a drop down visor.  I'm in the US, so it has to be DOT approved as well.  Any other ideas appreciated!  Don't want to spend over $300 if I can help it.
18 RS black

Offline CaliZed9

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold
Re: Anyone riding with a modular helmet?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 03:15:54 AM »
I’ve worn the 700 series Scorpions for years and I was surprised at how their different models fit differently (inside).  Also, Scorpions are known for small sizing so a 2XL Scorpion is likely an XL in other brands.  It is for my HJC.  Take a look here for a huge variety to look at but make sure to try on the specific model at a store somewhere to be sure of the fit.  They’re a great company with good prices and delivery time.  Returns if necessary are also no prob.  One time I got the wrong size boots and they sent me the right ones before I even sent their others back.  Most companies offer round and oval shaped inner shells in various models. 

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/street_helmets_and_eyewear/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:19:49 AM by CaliZed9 »

Online Redlinez

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 03:37:43 AM »
Thanks, I bought some gloves from them. I usually need a 2xl in all of them Ive tried.
18 RS black

Offline ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Oshawa
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 05:59:41 AM »
Last year after getting my first window less bike or riding without a windshield for a long time. I had mostly open fact 3/4 helmets. I didn't like riding with a full face back then as it felt too restrictive. I am a hard shape to fit as well and many felt just wrong and hard to put on my noggin...untill I went to GP Bikes (yes Canadian and near me) to look at them. I decided I wanted a modular..as atleast if I felt claustraphobic I could put the chin up for max air and not feel enclosed..also figured it was easier to get on maybe.

Well I ended up with a Scorpion EXO GT920 in white...and I love it. It has all the features I was looking for and on my V7 racer and my old Kawi it was great even at highway speeds. So I know it will do fine on the RS Cafe. The wind noise isn't bad...I can hear well and its snug at the cheeks.

Check it out here:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-gt920-helmet?utm_source=youtube.com&utm_medium=description&utm_campaign=Scorpion_EXO_GT920_Helmet&utm_term=QzzRYs32y5A
I know it is a 2016 model but they still sell it along with the newer version which has all the same features just updated model. So if you can find one maybe get a deal? There are others I tried them but this one fit the bill and it was not expensive..but not CHEAP either :038:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:02:36 AM by ve3hzz »
81 KZ750E2
13 V7 Racer
18 Z900RS Cafe

Online Redlinez

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 11:17:23 AM »
I've tried those on a couple of times.  They don't quite fit me the same as the EXO500 and EXO-T1200 do.  Between my head and my feet, I have lots of fun.....
18 RS black

Offline OKZ

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Multiple bikes
  • Town / City: Edmond, OK
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 02:14:37 PM »
I know you don't want to spend more than $300, but if you purchase new, a helmet should last you a minimum of 5 years. To me the helmet is the most important safety item you can invest in for "YOU"! You're worth it, find a good helmet with a good safety rating that fits you perfectly plus good and snug. I ended up going from a Shoei Neotec to a Schuberth C4 (Shoei was six years old), the fit of the Schuberth just worked better for me. Yes expensive but I'm worth it.  :028:
Technology: Man's ability to make simple things complicated.

Online Redlinez

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 02:27:19 PM »
That Shoei is good through  2021, which is a decent time for what I can buy it for.  I just can't remember what I thought of the fit.  I'm pretty sure it fit pretty awesome when they were available, I just didn't have the $500 or $550 it cost then.  I just missed out on a great deal for a Kabuto modular that fit great. 
18 RS black

Offline oRGie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: ipswich
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 05:41:55 PM »
I have a neotec and now a neotec 2, great helmets for all round use, especially for what I do. You can get cheek pads and head liners in 3 different thickneses, a good helmet retailer will let you have the pads you need for free if they order them before you use the original pads, they can send back the original pads, so it costs the retailer nothing.

neotec 2's demisting vents work the best I have ever had! it's also a bit quieter than the original neotec and the visor mechanism isnt so tight, it was a bit ott on the original.

Online Redlinez

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 06:43:42 PM »
One thing I do know, those II's aren't my head shape at all. I was hoping they would keep it similar, improve upon it, and lighten it up some.
18 RS black

Offline jamimages

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Bike: Z 900 RS
  • Town / City: Feldkirch
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 07:49:39 PM »
i purchased a Shuberth M1 Jethelmet. As there is a new model you can get good  conditions - i shot it for 250.- €