Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Extended warranty  (Read 1394 times)

Offline kes2463

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS 2018 Black
  • Town / City: MelkshamWilts
Re: Extended warranty
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 09:39:32 AM »
Mine was 2 years & my dealer quoted £320 for the extra two years but then said that as I had viewed the bike in June , test rode in September, said to him I'd be back in December to buy & was, I can had the extra 2 year warrantee for £150. Guess they have quite a bit of wriggle room  :038:
Be you, not the image of you that everyone else says you are.

Online peter88

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: 2019 JAFFA
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 10:12:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by ve3hzz [+]
Others have stated but here the factory warranty is 1 year from MA KAWI...on mine they gave an incentive (till end of Feb) for an additional year. I imagine they will offer to extend it past that for a fee of course.

Here is my thought on this and only my opinion do with the info as you see fit...

1. I likely will keep the bike long term..but you can never say never...so given that I (if at the time of decision to purchase) I would in all likelihood not purchase an extended warranty (unless I had a real number of warranty issues in the first year of ownership).
2. If I thought I'd sell the bike in a year or 2 then buying the extended warranty may increase my resell/trade value and at the very least make it more attractive to a buyer 2nd hand as they have piece of mind (at that time it's not my notion of if anything goes bad it is there's on taking a chance on a used bike).

Ask yourself this...if buying a used bike (1-2 years old say) would you buy the bike with an extended factory warranty or another bike that has none...from a private seller? If they were both competitively priced? Would you pay more? ...how much?

So given those answers I bet you can decide if purchase of the extended warranty is right for you...no one else can answer those questions...so there in lies the answer...be your own judge..

On my bikes I've owned them for many years LONG past warranty....but if I was one to flip every couple of years..well that changes the answer doesn't it?

Insurance is only when you need it...same for warranties..
I would rather take my chances at the time of sale wtthout the extended warranty because --  1. it has cost all the extra dollars for the exrended warranty but I won't get any more for the bike when I sell, and 2. There probably wont be any bikes with an extended warranty that I have  to compete with at the exact time of my sale.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:14:17 AM by peter88 »

Offline Ove

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: East of England
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 11:43:18 AM »
My dealer explained the warranty and advised that I make the decision after a year or so, when I know if I want to keep the bike long term. In his view the major mechanicals are bullet proof, but UK conditions are harsh if you ride year round. I'd had problems on my previous bike (rectifier and oil consumption), so was tending towards the peace of mind, as it was relatively cheap. I would have bought it there and then, but decided to wait and see. Spent the money on a grab rail and centre stand instead  :087: Downside is if you want to tune the bike, ECUs exhausts etc. Or mess around with electrics too much, you risk invalidating it and 4 years is a long time... (I guess unless the dealer does the stuff for you).

Offline Y2K18

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Kawi Z900RS
  • Town / City: Raleigh, NC
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 03:36:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by OKZ [+]
We only get one year standard warranty.  :187:

Yes only one year which is pretty much industry standard.

Offline Contrasens

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawa Z900rs
  • Town / City: Leonberg
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 03:50:59 PM »
In Germany the bike gets 2 years warranty by default. When I bought it, I ran into some special action and I got 4 years.

Offline JasonKing

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900rs Cafe
  • Town / City: Marineville
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 09:36:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Y2K18 [+]
Yes only one year which is pretty much industry standard.
Unless you by a Royal Enfield!  Or a Kia!!!

Offline Redlinez

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 18 Z900RS
  • Town / City: North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 03:49:25 AM »
The Concours and Goldwing come with a 3 year warranty.  Not sure what's up with that.
18 RS black

Offline Larry

• Z900RS Pro
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 06:06:34 AM »
I have great confidence in the engineering and especially since this is a proven design. I have not bothered looking but I'd check the various other Z900/1000/800 boards and see if there is anything much in issues that fall under the warranty fix umbrella. I suspect you'll not find much.