Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Oil level in sight glass  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Anand

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Southampton
Oil level in sight glass
« on: February 09, 2019, 05:39:00 PM »
I have got a brand new bike. On the side stand there is no oil seen in the clear glass viewer. With the bike upright oil is just seen in the lower third. Does this mean it needs a top up. No oil warning light when running. Any advice welcome

Online Salnap

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS
  • Town / City: Massachusetts
Re: Oil level in sight glass
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 06:01:56 PM »
as long as the oil level is between the two lines  you're ok. I always check off side stand and fill to top line.

Offline nightowl

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Mülheim/Ruhr
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 06:29:08 PM »
Another remark: even with the bike on the center stand I perceive that it takes longer than I was used from my past bikes for the oil to reach its final level. So taking the bike from the side stand and putting it on the center stand (with cold engine) at least in my case did not reveal the final oil level within the next minute. Whereas leaving the bike on the center stand overnight and checking then showed a remarkably higher level. So maybe try a 5-10 Minute sit-in (sit-on? :002:) on the bike to keep it level and check after that time?

Offline ve3hzz

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Z900RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Oshawa
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 07:34:03 PM »
My other Kawi's the sight glass on the side is hard to read even when on the bike. The level on mine (depends on how cold ambient temperature is and viscosity of oil) did not take long to go up from side stand with no oil showing. But I normally used and inspection mirror and raised it to riding position (on bike mostly) and read the level. When I was changing the oil (as in replacing) I normally (if not using a wheel chock) put a piece of wood under the side stand to raise it up. Once I saw the level in the sight glass start to rise I raised the bike to level and checked again..once I knew it was half way between lines I started it up and let it run for a few minutes. Shut it off...waited about 5 min and checked it level (sitting on the bike) to ensure it was still in the middle. If it was low I'd top it up a bit. I normally knew (after first change) what it takes (I don't rely on manuals to tell me..as there widely inaccurate at times with conversions) with filter change (do one every time regardless of what they state re replacing oil filter every other change).
You can carry the inspection mirror in your pocket and once stopping for fuel check it for the first bit incase your worried about oil consumption. Also I'd recommend at first service/change of oil to use a magnetic drain plug.

I didn't in my Nomad as it has a screen filter that traps debris. I checked it EVERY TIME and never anything after the first change...But this new bike and my old KZ doesn't have that so magnetic drain plug is the way to go!!

And fwiw...and been doing this a long time...don't start your bike every week in the winter for 5 min to keep it lubricated..your doing MORE HARM then GOOD!!! Been well proven with a few of my CAR buddies who did it religiously in winter...till one of them had condensation issues and also replaced his muffler 2x...unheated space...

Others will argue this point.....just some friendly advice...

Scott
81 Kawasaki KZ 750E2
84 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk S (Canadian Model)
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
18 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

Offline Y2K18

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Kawi Z900RS
  • Town / City: Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 10:18:30 PM »
The bike should be upright. Anywhere between the lines in the glass is safe. I prefer at the upper line.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:26:33 PM by Y2K18 »

Offline Sath182

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: RS Cafe
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 10:24:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Anand [+]
I have got a brand new bike. On the side stand there is no oil seen in the clear glass viewer. With the bike upright oil is just seen in the lower third. Does this mean it needs a top up. No oil warning light when running. Any advice welcome

Any bike with an oil sight glass is meant to be read with the bike straight up. Bikes with dip sticks are different. In either case, you'll be fine as long as the oil level is between the markings when the engine off.

All of this information and more is available in your owners manual. This information was on page 109.

Offline Anand

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Southampton
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 12:05:03 AM »
Thanks for all,of your advice. I did look at the owners manual. I think I am probably just above the lower line with the oil warm, so I probably need a wee top up.

Offline gpd323

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Spanaway
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 09:30:02 PM »
I keep mine at the very top of the sight glass. Not between the marks. YMMV.

As others have said bike has to upright to get a correct visual look at the oil level.

Greg D
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Online TallyRex

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 10:36:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by ve3hzz [+]

And fwiw...and been doing this a long time...don't start your bike every week in the winter for 5 min to keep it lubricated..your doing MORE HARM then GOOD!!! Been well proven with a few of my CAR buddies who did it religiously in winter...till one of them had condensation issues and also replaced his muffler 2x...unheated space...

Others will argue this point.....just some friendly advice...

Scott

Excellent point.  I run my ZRX 20 miles a week to keep the carbs clean and I find on my FI bikes, I don't need to do that.  Of course, gasoline breaks down over time, so you need to make sure that you don't let the vehicle sit for more than 2 months, or add some stabilizer, which should keep the gas good for 6 months.

Offline gpd323

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Spanaway
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 02:37:39 PM »
Greg D
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State