Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Ohlins Suspension  (Read 3544 times)

m_mcdonnell and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Forks-by-Matt

• Approved Vendor
  • Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Alexandria, VA
Re: Ohlins Suspension
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 05:56:18 PM
if you want that 10pct discount State-side, just contact me. I should be able to do more like 15.
The NIX-30 is valved a bit heavy in the COMP leg. Unless you're inclined to rearrange shims, have your installer put a 9 to 11cSt@40 oil in that leg instead of the 19 that the instructions call for. It'll be much better on typical streets.

Offline OKZ

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Multiple bikes
  • Town / City: Edmond, OK
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 06:08:47 PM
*Originally Posted by Forks-by-Matt [+]
if you want that 10pct discount State-side, just contact me. I should be able to do more like 15.
The NIX-30 is valved a bit heavy in the COMP leg. Unless you're inclined to rearrange shims, have your installer put a 9 to 11cSt@40 oil in that leg instead of the 19 that the instructions call for. It'll be much better on typical streets.

You're alive!  :028:
Technology: Man's ability to make simple things complicated.
2018 Z900RS - Hooligan bike
2019 BMW R1250GS - for travel and exploring

Online Otown

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Ottawa
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 03:06:39 PM
Hey OKZ, just wanted to bring this thread back to life and see what your long term impressions of the upgrade has been. Its not a cheap mod to change the front and rear  and I'm curious if you feel the transformation was worth it.

Offline OKZ

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 06:22:51 PM
It was way worth it to me. The OEM suspension was not bad, had a nice compliant ride but when rode hard you quickly found the limitations. I'm sill playing with finding the right settings but so far I'm very pleased with it. I would say that the OEM suspension is likely good for 90% of the owners out there, but those that ride hard and like a bike to perform plus have a decent ride, this is the way to go.  :028:

Online Otown

• Z900RS Pro
  • Town / City: Ottawa
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 11:59:20 PM
Thanks OKZ, Iíll keep them on my wish list for next year and weĎll see what happens.

Offline Andyb1962

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Jaffa
  • Town / City: Rotherham
Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 06:00:52 PM
*Originally Posted by OKZ [+]
I have ridden several bikes over the years that had Ohlins suspensions and I was always impressed with how well they ride as well as handle on the street and the track. So I decided to wait until Ohlins developed components for the RS. Well they have, but they have been slow to release the components in the states. Well a friend of mine who is the service/parts manager at the local BMW/Ducati/Triumph shop contacted me and told me his ohlins distributer received the following components for the RS. Since it's Winter and their service department is slow he is giving me 10% off the Ohlins and 15% off of labor for install. So I said ok and they came and picked up my bike yesterday. I'm gone skiing in Colorado next week so I hope when I return the following week I'll be picking up my RS with her new legs.  :082:

I'll post up impressions once I have had some time to put some miles on and dial in the suspension for my riding style.

https://www.ohlins.com/products/database/#?search=Z900&page=1

Been out in Europe a while now . As always a premium product at a very premiun price .

Offline OKZ

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900RS Master
Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 06:49:52 PM
Yep, definitely not cheap. I've upgraded a lot on this bike and people think i'm crazy, suspension, brakes, exhaust, tune, etc. But the Z is such a great platform and I took this already great bike and turned into my dream bike. It looks great and rocks it in a straight line and in the curves. Definitely worth it to me.  :028:

Offline Andyb1962

• Z900RS Pro
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 07:30:55 PM
https://images.z900rs.co.uk/9EF78243-40B9-4095-9B5C-19CF1C0A43C3.jpg

Iíve done lots of similar mods (Nitron and KTech revalve kit R & F) plus other bits spent a small fortune but a way better bike for it , compared to my mates std RS.
If the rear end is custom built for your weight (I assume they do) the rear end id very compliant and smooth .
The front end is just amazingly different. I also fitted a slightly thicker oil to aid damping . Itís a different bike especially on crap UK roads
Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:15:20 PM by Andyb1962

Online silverjoe

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Z900RS Black
  • Town / City: Alberta
Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 04:43:47 AM
Iíve done lots of similar mods (Nitron and KTech revalve kit R & F) plus other bits spent a small fortune but a way better bike for it , compared to my mates std RS.
If the rear end is custom built for your weight (I assume they do) the rear end id very compliant and smooth .
The front end is just amazingly different. I also fitted a slightly thicker oil to aid damping . Itís a different bike especially on crap UK roads

Andyb, was the fork kit difficult to install?

Offline Andyb1962

• Z900RS Pro
Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 09:38:35 AM
Not for me mate .  I dropped the forks off  with my ďsuspension manĒ next day and £250 lighter I picked em up and refitted them.
He fitted emulator valves (bigger holes) played with the shim stack and added slightly thicker oil .
Massive difference.
Another plus is the the adjusters now have more range than before . Though Iíve left it it at how he set it up for me . It has std springs as they were done for my weight .
Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 09:41:00 AM by Andyb1962