Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Powerbronze Z900RS products  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Kawabunga

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Westfield
Re: Powerbronze Z900RS products
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 04:15:11 AM »
Picture this.  Open straight stretch of dry road, clear sunny day, 360 degree visibility for miles, not another vehicle within at least a mile in any direction. You decide to open her up. There's a 25 mph crosswind and as you hit 110 mph the bars start to shimmy.  You say to yourself "Oh please, not a tankslapper." So you slowly  back off the throttle and a few seconds later there's a bang down in front and you think, "Oh please, not a blow-out" then out of the corner of your eye you see a black thing flying out from the bike at knee level. 

U turn, park, hunt it down in a field and examine the evidence to piece together what happened.  It's melted through the Powerbronze logo and there's a bunch of melted plastic solidified above the top right edge.  The right side of the tire is thoroughly scoured black. 

Apparently it let go on the upwind side first, allowing it to drop against that side of the tire, scuffing the side of the tire and melting through the PB logo and part of the top edge of the extender from the inside.  After a few rotations the tire torqued loose the other side and gave it a good throw. 

It happened too fast and was over too quickly to be scary.  Nothing bad happened to me or the bike, even the fender is undamaged.  But I suppose it could have been worse.

Even the extender itself is still in good enough shape to re-use, but I think I'm going to leave it off for the time being.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:32:19 AM by Kawabunga »

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 05:32:12 AM »
You had some good luck that day.  When mine disappeared I didnít know it until I got home.  The front of the pipes sure take a beating but Iím used to it having had two CBXs with six pipes in front.

Offline garyclem

• Z900RS Member
  • Bike: Green Z9RS Cafe
  • Town / City: Concord NSW
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 07:51:46 PM »
Hi Richard .... I see you don't list your handguards for the Z900RS Cafe. Can you tell me if they can be fitted to the Cafe or not? Thanks
Headers. Reflash. PAIR block. 16 tooth front sprocket. Centre stand, heated grips, grab bar, radiator guard, retro tank badges and dash bezel. Fender extender. Headlight protector. Belly pan. Vintage seat cover. Hugger.

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2019, 11:20:56 PM »
My fender extender arrived today.  Weíll see if it stays on this time! :008:  The screws are aligned properly, itís the angle of the picture that makes them look differently.  Itís too bad the fender isnít removable but loosened, itís loose enough to align the extender, tape and drill through the fender.  I used a wooden wedge between the fender and the tire when I drilled.  Now Iím waiting for my Spencer seat to arrive.  :002:

Online IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 03:35:24 AM »
I have the glossy Powerbronze Fender Extender and since I hate to drill through my fender I used some JB Weld Clear which has a holding force of 4485 lbs per Square inch. 
So needless to say that fender extender is never coming off and is part of the fender for life.  :001:    Let us know how you like the Spencer mod.   I wish they had Core Seats here in the US.
They do amazing work not just redoing the foam but also restyling the seat.  Some of the best work I have ever seen.  They are located in the UK and therefore it isn't very cost effective to
send them the stock seat and have them redo the seat and then send it back.  The postage alone would be pretty high.  Plus the wait time and the cost of the Seat Modifications.   
I guess I might as well get a Corbin but they are so damn ugly. 
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2019, 04:11:08 AM »
Iíve had three Corbins, all on CBXs.  My 82 had the full rig already on it when I got it, complete with backrest and rack.  Sadly the Ďdishí for the riders portion just didnít fit me.  I sold it to a guy in the UK.  Shipping (was) expensive.  I had to declare the actual value in case it got lost so that drove the shipping cost sky high.  At the  time I lived about 55 miles from the Corbin factory in Hollister.  They have a Saturday deal that if you ride in early theyíll complete your seat while you wait and they buy lunch next door.  I toured the factory, chose the cover, style, piping or not etc (and) what most people donít know, I chose their softer foam over their standard foam which takes thousands of miles to break in.  Loved them and put over 50,000 miles on the 82 and over 40,000 miles on my 79.  But, theyíre just too expensive for me like all other after market seats makers are.  Corbin prefers to use their seat pans too, with your hardware.  Theyíre a lot heavier than the stock seat pan.  Theyíll do your seat pan but they really really prefer to use their own.  Itís easier for them in the foaming process.  Pretty cool watching them make a seat right in front of you but again, expen$ive!   Canít wait to get my seat back from Spencer after spending time (really) cleaning my headers with Simple Green, Nevrdull and Plexus.  I even used a kitchen scrub sponge that doesnít scratch.  Like new now.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:22:03 AM by CaliZed9 »

Offline Flyred

• Z900RS Junior Member
  • Town / City: SEATTLE
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 08:36:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaliZed9 [+]
Well, glad the fender extender wasnít too expensive as I lost it somewhere over the past 400 miles.  Itís funny that
Itís shown with show no attachment screws or rivets that were supplied (and) recommended.  I didnít like the idea of drilling the fender for the screws or the flimsy rubber rivets so I used a liberal amount of epoxy with clamps.  The clamps held it in place for 48 hours or so and it looked and felt quite secure.  I didnít think the rubber rivets would hold it in place at all.  Had it stayed on I was thinking about getting another to try and attach it to the rear fender but now...?  I couldnít see any way to remove the front fender, take it loose yes, but no easy removal.  Any ideas?  I do want an extender and I suppose Iíll have to drill the front fender to attach another one but if epoxy doesnít hold it in place on the front fender, and if one fits well enough on the rear fender, how would I attach it?

From the Kawasaki service manual: To remove the front fender, the front wheel and brake calipers needs to come off.  The trick is putting a chain hoist above the handlebars and hooking a strap on the bars to lift the front while on the center stand. I installed the Doremi chrome front fender. It was worth the work.