Z900RS

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Powerbronze Z900RS products  (Read 2940 times)

Offline halbie

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS (black)
  • Town / City: Portland
Re: Powerbronze Z900RS products
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »
A couple of you have asked how I drilled into the fender, whether I removed/loosened it, etc. I did not remove or loosen the fender. I used strong adhesive glue to attach it and left that overnight, with a couple pieces of tape to prevent gravity from taking over while the glue was drying.

Then I drilled two holes, and you can see approximate locations in these photos. The drill bit is touching the screw in the first photo. Perhaps my drill is shorter/lower-profile than other list members' drills? My drill was at a slight angle, and I pushed the drill bit in further than normal. But the drilling itself is easy through plastic, and I can feel the tips of the screws inside the fender so I know they are installed all the way.

(You can also see a bit of adhesive that leaked out the bottom and that I will peel away)

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 07:36:42 PM »
Thanks!  I canít see the lil push rivets holding the extender in place at all.  If a liberal amount of epoxy didn't hold it how would these rubber rivets keep it secure?  Drilling and using the screws seems to be the only way.

Offline Kawabunga

• Z900RS Member
  • Town / City: Westfield
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 10:31:03 AM »
I used 3M "Extremely Strong" mounting tape - the kind with red plastic peel-off strip -  with no screws or rivets when I added a Powerbronze Fender Extender to my Z900RS, and it seems to be holding perfectly so far.  To be fair, it has only been a few days and a couple of hundred miles and no bad weather just yet.  But I did the same with my Pyramid Plastics fender extender on my Versys 2 years and 8,000 miles ago, and it is still holding strong.  I would also feel quite confident in using 3M Plastic and Emblem adhesive for this task, and would have done so if I'd had a tube of it handy, because it would have been slightly easier than cutting the tape to fit.  I once used it for attaching vinyl trim to a car and it stuck like a barnacle.  It held for years and is probably still holding today, if that car is still on the road. 

No, I don't work for 3M or get anything for mentioning this, I just have tried and been very happy with these two products.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 10:36:10 AM by Kawabunga »

Online CaliZed9

• Z900RS Master
  • Bike: Z900RS-Hayabusa
  • Town / City: Coarsegold
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 06:52:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kawabunga [+]
I used 3M "Extremely Strong" mounting tape - the kind with red plastic peel-off strip -  with no screws or rivets when I added a Powerbronze Fender Extender to my Z900RS, and it seems to be holding perfectly so far.  To be fair, it has only been a few days and a couple of hundred miles and no bad weather just yet.  But I did the same with my Pyramid Plastics fender extender on my Versys 2 years and 8,000 miles ago, and it is still holding strong.  I would also feel quite confident in using 3M Plastic and Emblem adhesive for this task, and would have done so if I'd had a tube of it handy, because it would have been slightly easier than cutting the tape to fit.  I once used it for attaching vinyl trim to a car and it stuck like a barnacle.  It held for years and is probably still holding today, if that car is still on the road. 

No, I don't work for 3M or get anything for mentioning this, I just have tried and been very happy with these two products.  YMMV.

How many miles on that fender extender so far?

Offline Kawabunga

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »
Still only 200 miles on the extender on the RS.  I can't ride because It's sitting in the garage with the ECU lost in the mail on its way to be flashed.  USPS still says it's on its way but it has been 5 days on a 2-day promise.  😞

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 05:26:55 PM »
I have a Powerbronze Fender Extender on the way.  Actually, I didn't see this post and paid full price for it.   Ordered the Glossy one and it is out of stock but should ship within 10 days.   I bought some of the Scotch Super Strong 30 lbs rated double sided tape which I guess would be similar to the 3M tape?   Or I am contemplating using Flex glue.  I have used that stuff on many other occasion and believe me when you glue something with that stuff you will never
ever get it apart.   So perhaps I shouldn't use it just in case I don't like the Extended Fender and want to remove it later.   I guess I still have time to decide before it arrives. 
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.

Offline Kawabunga

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 02:47:37 AM »
Now over 500 miles since I put the Powerbronze fender extender on with 3m extremely strong mounting tape.  Some of those miles at very high speed (in a safe place of course).  Holding strong.

Offline Kawabunga

• Z900RS Member
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 06:36:23 PM »
Update: There is indeed a speed at which the 3M extremely strong tape will let go.  Faster than most sane people will go, but well below the top speed of the bike.

And the process of letting go at speed can generate a little drama.

Offline Mastrocinque

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: Kawa Z900-RS Brown
  • Town / City: S„o Paulo
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 10:11:02 PM »
Wow...

Did it happened to you? In what speed exactly?

Tell us more about the "drama"!!
Paulo Mastrocinque

Offline IndyTom

• Z900RS Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900RS
  • Town / City: Noblesville
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 12:30:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kawabunga [+]
Update: There is indeed a speed at which the 3M extremely strong tape will let go.  Faster than most sane people will go, but well below the top speed of the bike.

And the process of letting go at speed can generate a little drama.

Oh NO!  I hope you are alright.  What happened?   I can picture the extender coming off and the rotation of the wheel at speed it must have been thrown up-ward into the frame or worse under the front fender into front wheel.   I am glad you regained control and hopefully there isn't too much damage.   
I JB welded mine and the only way it is coming off is if I use a blow torch to it.      Glad you are okay!   Next time call me and I will keep your speed down under 150 mph ;-)
I don't usually have a big smile on my face, but when I do I probably am riding my bike.